Diesel doesn’t go in these ....

Stokdgs

Threads
Local shop, B&R Lawn Equipment, Plymouth, NC had the gasket in stock, $6. Had it back together and running before lunch.

Whew ... saved my mower. Now to teach the wife to always give a little sniff to what’s in the can before you assume ....
How about write on the can with a Sharpie what is in the Can ???

Richard Milhous

Threads
How about write on the can with a Sharpie what is in the Can ???
Yeah, like my diesel in a denatured alcohol can marked "DIESEL" in Sharpie. The two-stroke gas is in a completely unmarked red can...

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fun

Funny you mention the cans ...

I just bought a new compact tractor / loader / back hoe and was telling the wife I needed to get a couple yellow cans for diesel. That conversation came up while I was filling a red 5 gallon can with diesel to take to our boat. Our boat and tractor both have Yanmar diesels. The very next day I bought two yellow cans for the tractor but the red one still had maybe a half gallon of diesel in it after topping off the boat tank. I mean ... she had literally carried that can onto the boat the day before. And there were TWO other cans beside it, both with gasoline n them. Even not paying attention and forgetting the conversation we had just a few days ago she still had a two out of three blind chance to grab a can that had gas ....

But yeah ... diesel only goes the yellow cans from now on.
Some gas stations will turn the pump off if you use the wrong colored can around here.

That would be a costly repair if you gassed a marine Diesel engine LOL.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Local shop, B&R Lawn Equipment, Plymouth, NC had the gasket in stock, $6. Had it back together and running before lunch.

Whew ... saved my mower. Now to teach the wife to always give a little sniff to what’s in the can before you assume ....
Hope you used a piece of plate glass and some 220 and 600 grit wet/dry paper. Needed to flatted the head and block area. No doubt they are warped. And obviously torque the head bolts back to factory specs.

And while you are at it, clean those filthy engine cooling fins and engine block yearly. It's in your engine manual for all mower engines.

Threads
You should have immediately completely drained Fuel tank and lines and Float bowl. Replaced Fuel Filter.. Replace Spark Plug. Refill with a gallon of Fresh Gasoline. Bought flowers for Wifey. She owes you now. The diesel would not have harmed anything in the Carb.. Strange the head gasket blew. Good luck.
I do not understand the math on how incorrect filling with diesel = blown head gasket. Seems like it would just not ignite, as this isn't natively a high-compression engine.

Tdj2591

Threads
I remember when my neighbor’s wife was going to be helpful and use his new Stihl back-pack blower. She filled it with straight gasoline without any oil. It didn’t run long before it died. Needless to say, he was not a happy camper.

Tdj2591

Threads
Oh, and I made the mistake of letting him borrow my chainsaw. He didn’t return it for a while so I went to his home and retrieved it from his wife. It was taken apart and some parts were missing. I have no idea how or why he tore it up. I didn’t say anything to him about it and he never asked to borrow any tools again.

Richard Milhous

Threads
I do not understand the math on how incorrect filling with diesel = blown head gasket. Seems like it would just not ignite, as this isn't natively a high-compression engine.

The diesel, m'lord, would be ignited by the gasoline. How this could contribute to blowing a head gasket, I dunno.

Richard Milhous

Threads
Oh, and I made the mistake of letting him borrow my chainsaw. He didn’t return it for a while so I went to his home and retrieved it from his wife. It was taken apart and some parts were missing. I have no idea how or why he tore it up. I didn’t say anything to him about it and he never asked to borrow any tools again.

A loan without collateral is a gift.

SamB

Threads
May I add,before you beat your wife up too bad for her mistake,these OHV Intek Briggs engines are prone to blowing the head gasket right there where yours did. That's why the mower shop had the gasket in stock. I'd bet they have a drawer full of them.
There is a possibility that this had nothing(really) to do with the diesel in the fuel. Usually,diesel in a gas engine just won't ignite and the engine will stall. Gasoline in a diesel is a whole different scenario,but I digress. There is a high possibility that this was coming,regardless. I've had this very same gasket failure happen to me more than once for no good reason. I would bet others will bear me out on this.

Last edited: