DGT6000 engine cranks but wont start?

RustyDGT6000

Threads
Just got a DGT6000 with the Kohler 27 engine from my neighbor for free. Said lately he's had to mess with the throttle to get it to start and last time he was using it he could barely get it running and once he did it just died on him after about 5 minutes. Got it home and started taking it apart and boy is it dirty. I've done some things to it here and there for him in past years, but it appears as though he's let it go since. With a boost, (appears he left the key on once he couldn't get it started and drained the battery) the engine turns over freely but won't start. Almost seems like it turns "too freely" if that makes sense. Started doing compression test and it started to downpour. Was getting no movement on the gauge at all but that may be because I was rushing to get a reading before i got soaked. I'll try again tomorrow.

Any direction on where to start would be great!! I'm hoping its a simple head gasket and not something major because when this runs its a beast!! It would be great to have him drive by and see me using it in my yard!!!!!

IMG_6962.jpgIMG_6963.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
1.Thorough degrease.
2.Check oil level.

Man, was going to make a list. Very good question, where to start. Where's the top cover engine shroud? Don't run it without that.

Clean the cylinder cooling fins.

The voltage regulator is not mounted nor grounded. Don't try to start it till this gets remounted. Good luck with it.

RustyDGT6000

Threads
1.Thorough degrease.
2.Check oil level.

Man, was going to make a list. Very good question, where to start. Where's the top cover engine shroud? Don't run it without that.

Clean the cylinder cooling fins.

The voltage regulator is not mounted nor grounded. Don't try to start it till this gets remounted. Good luck with it.
Yea, that is my fault for not saying that I removed the shroud just to get an idea what I was dealing with. It has a decent amount of hours on it and it's seen it's share of wear and tear for sure but he's been using it on the regular so i'm hoping its nothing crazy!!

RustyDGT6000

Threads
Cleaned everything up this weekend. Pulled the heads off today, gaskets don't look horrible. Unfortunately, it seems like when I turn the engine by hands I don't see any movement in the pistons which makes me think the connecting rods are toast... I was hoping this wasn't the case but it looks like it'll be the scrap yard or FB marketplace for parts...

Feel free to shoot any final ideas or thoughts anyone may have!! Or if your in the Connecticut area and you want it let me know!!!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not good if the pistons do not move.