Deerely like you’re advice

Threads
We have an old John Deere 111. Lawn tractor that was doing a great job plowing our driveway when the transmission seemed to be locked up and wouldn’t move. It has been sitting for awhile now as we couldn’t move it but at the time it still started up. We don’t have a service manual for it and would like to get hold of one. We would appreciate any advice you might have.
thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the 111 a gear transmission? If so, check the shift linkage to make sure it isn't in two gears at once

Threads
Yes it is a gear transmission. It could have fallen off but we have no idea what it looks like,could you send a photo?

AVB

Threads
It depends if it is a 111 or 111H. The 111 has a Peerless 801-038A manual transaxle and the 111H has an Eaton hydrostatic, don't the model number.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not necessarily on a JD but I've seen brake calipers/pads stuck to the rotor.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes it is a gear transmission. It could have fallen off but we have no idea what it looks like,could you send a photo?
Sorry but I don't have access to a 111. I am only speaking from my knowledge of gear transmissions on trucks and tractors that if two 'speeds' are selected at the same time, the transmission is locked up. Hopefully someone with specific knowledge of the 111 will chime in.

It would be smart to follow SeniorCitizen's advice first because that would be an easier fix if that is the problem.

Threads
476EE1D7-DCBE-4958-B614-5DDFC5591CF5.jpeg
my lawn tractor was made in 1979 wish I could move it to a warm dry spot but the transmission seems to be locked

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should be able to get one back wheel off the ground and then be able to roll the mower into the garage. Even with a locked brake it should still move that way. One wheel will roll forward that is on the ground but the opposite wheel off the ground will turn the opposite direction due to the differential.

AVB

Threads
View attachment 50676
my lawn tractor was made in 1979 wish I could move it to a warm dry spot but the transmission seems to be locked
Looks like you got some shoveling to do first but as ILENGINE suggested getting one off the ground will work or better you remove one of the rear wheels axle keys. Just don't forget to put it back once you get the mower moved.

Also as SeniorCitizen suggest with the transaxle being a Tecumseh Peerless the brake caliper may be seized. I have the two 5/16 pins to rust or the their paths in the caliper to corrode.