Deck noise

Isolated the noise to drive area and took off the belt. Wiggled the ildler pulley and knew that was the issue. Sealed bearings can't stand them. My Locke mower is 45 years old every bearing has a zirk grease fitting. I have yet to replace a bearing. I bet the mower has 4000 hours. Rebuilt the engine one time.
 
Probably wasn't hotter than usual but noisy. Was it the smaller diameter pulley? I replaced mine when I replaced the drive belt at around 400 hours. The smaller diameter pulley turns many more times than the larger one.
 
When I replaced the small pulley on my machine, I opened it up and inspected the bearing, it was dry and the balls had started to get flat spots.
During the course of its life, this pulley turns millions of times more than the larger one.
This fall my machine will be at 800 hours and again due for a drive belt change and I'll do both pulleys at the same time.
Mad Mackie in CT:smile::biggrin::laughing:
 
Back
Top