Decisions, Decisions

Decisions, Decisions

  • Color

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Looks

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Performance and Reliability

    Votes: 48 72.7%
  • Ease of Maintenace

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Manufacturer

    Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Warranty

    Votes: 1 1.5%

  • Total voters
    66
Yep the more you can do your self puts $$ back in your pocket.

That is true too. About 99% of the maintenance on my mowers are done myself.

Which reminds me I need to replace the carburetor gasket on my push mower:laughing:
 
I first look at what it looks like and then look to see if it has a briggs under the hood cause I want looks and dependability
 
I look at durability quality of cut and what will work best on the largest amount of the properties we do then dealer support and warranty. Price is mildly important when you get to a certain level of mower regardless of color you'll be spending $10k-$12k per machine. If you're doing it for a living you can't afford down time. So spend the extra 10%-20% up front to make more on the back end.
 
I wish there was an option to select two since I find performance/reliability & brand were a breaker for me. I was raised on Craftsman & the mower I have is also a Craftsman. Performs well & is the brand I know & prefer
 
I wish there was an option to select two since I find performance/reliability & brand were a breaker for me. I was raised on Craftsman & the mower I have is also a Craftsman. Performs well & is the brand I know & prefer

The problem with branding is that a lot of it is meaningless today. Thirty years ago I owned a Yardman push mower with a magnesium deck that was made right there in my town (Jackson, Michigan) and was powered by a B&S engine made in the USA. It lasted me 12 years before I moved out of town and sold my house. Today Yardman brand mowers are made in China with cheap stamped steel decks and crappy B&S engines with Chinese parts, and are sold in Walmart stores. A lot of Craftsman branded tools are much the same. If you want to know if a brand is worth owning, see if it is sold through full service dealers.
 
The problem with branding is that a lot of it is meaningless today. Thirty years ago I owned a Yardman push mower with a magnesium deck that was made right there in my town (Jackson, Michigan) and was powered by a B&S engine made in the USA. It lasted me 12 years before I moved out of town and sold my house. Today Yardman brand mowers are made in China with cheap stamped steel decks and crappy B&S engines with Chinese parts, and are sold in Walmart stores. A lot of Craftsman branded tools are much the same. If you want to know if a brand is worth owning, see if it is sold through full service dealers.

Amen mower mike, i went with dixie choppers, because they are made in America in Greencastle, Indiana. Still a great American built piece of equipment. I am a Veteran owned company based out of Indianapolis and go out of my way to purchase "made in the USA" equipment for a few reasons 1 it's built to last 2 it's never been on a cargo ship 3 to set an example for my kids, have pride in American labor and products. Not to mention just not a huge fan of china or the Middle East. I even only use co-op/country mark American drilled and refined fuel.
 
The Lawn Mower is as unique as the people who own and maintain them. How do you select the Lawn Mower you purchase?


I voted manafacturer. IMO MTD is a good low end mower, though not as good as they once were. For a more professional mower I like eXmark Pioneer or Lazer Z.

Not to say there are not other good mowers on the market, but that is where I go.
 
Back
Top