Dealer demonstrator

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Was at my local dealer this week. Told him that I was thinking about another zero turn. He sells Kubota and Scag. We have been running Kubota two years and they are brutally tough. I told the dealer that I had heard that a Scag will. It Bahia grass better than the Kubota. He told me he did not know but he had a new Scag that was a demonstrator. 60" cut I think he said 32 hp. He told me to come get it and run it a week. He said he had a 700 series Kubota that was out but he would let me keep it a week as well when it came back in. I have never seen a 700 series Kubota. He said it was new. I am a die hard Kubota man but I think I am going to take him up on the Scag just to see what it is made out of. IF it will cut Bahia grass better than the Kubota and appears to be close to as reliable I am going to have to look hard at it.

I we cut some properties that a third mower would be wonderful to have and if we ever had to work on one or put it in the shop a backup would be great also.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Was at my local dealer this week. Told him that I was thinking about another zero turn. He sells Kubota and Scag. We have been running Kubota two years and they are brutally tough. I told the dealer that I had heard that a Scag will. It Bahia grass better than the Kubota. He told me he did not know but he had a new Scag that was a demonstrator. 60" cut I think he said 32 hp. He told me to come get it and run it a week. He said he had a 700 series Kubota that was out but he would let me keep it a week as well when it came back in. I have never seen a 700 series Kubota. He said it was new. I am a die hard Kubota man but I think I am going to take him up on the Scag just to see what it is made out of. IF it will cut Bahia grass better than the Kubota and appears to be close to as reliable I am going to have to look hard at it.

I we cut some properties that a third mower would be wonderful to have and if we ever had to work on one or put it in the shop a backup would be great also.
What model Scag will you be demoing? If it's a Turf Tiger I would bet you will be very impressed. That's one of the leading Commercial ZTR's out there(right up there with the Hustler Super Z HD).

Pine Rider

Threads
Supposedly, the sloped front edge of the deck allows more time for the blades to pull up the Bahia grass. Especially those pesky stems. Don't hold me to this as fact, but I was told by a dealer that sells Scags, Ferris and Grasshopper that the deck design started with Grasshopper, moved to Ferris, then Scag. Hustler has a modified version in their VX4 deck. The deck isn't as sloped, but the space is created underneath. Ferris uses it's rep on Bahia grass as a selling point in my area.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Supposedly, the sloped front edge of the deck allows more time for the blades to pull up the Bahia grass. Especially those pesky stems. Don't hold me to this as fact, but I was told by a dealer that sells Scags, Ferris and Grasshopper that the deck design started with Grasshopper, moved to Ferris, then Scag. Hustler has a modified version in their VX4 deck. The deck isn't as sloped, but the space is created underneath. Ferris uses it's rep on Bahia grass as a selling point in my area.
I love my Kubotas however it is a fact Jack, they do not do real well on tough Bahia grass and we cut a butt load of it.

Last edited:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What model Scag will you be demoing? If it's a Turf Tiger I would bet you will be very impressed. That's one of the leading Commercial ZTR's out there(right up there with the Hustler Super Z HD).

I looked at it again yesterday. It is a Turf Tiger with a 35 hp motor. It has the 61" deck.

It will be a hard decision for me to run anything other than Kubota. We operate under brutal conditions most of the time and Kubota can take a licking and keep ticking. I don't know about even the Scag. I know they are good mowers. I am just concerned about how much abuse they can take and not be torn up.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I looked at it again yesterday. It is a Turf Tiger with a 35 hp motor. It has the 61" deck.

It will be a hard decision for me to run anything other than Kubota. We operate under brutal conditions most of the time and Kubota can take a licking and keep ticking. I don't know about even the Scag. I know they are good mowers. I am just concerned about how much abuse they can take and not be torn up.
IMHO, the Scag Turf Tiger is about as tough as they come!! If I were mowing commercially, the only ZTR I would pick over it would be the Hustler Super Z HD(or maybe a Grasshopper 335).

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
IMHO, the Scag Turf Tiger is about as tough as they come!! If I were mowing commercially, the only ZTR I would pick over it would be the Hustler Super Z HD(or maybe a Grasshopper 335).
We live out in the boonies so to speak so you kinda gotta get what the dealers sell or drive a long ways. There is a Kubota dealer here and they sell Scag. It just recently sold out. I think they have been selling Kubota since 73???. I know they were selling them when I got out of high school. That was 75 for sure.

It appears that the new owners are going to be great to deal with. I know they had Exmark and dropped them but they took on Echo and they got me a Toro Time Master cheaper than I saw them on a website at Home Depot.

There is a dealer that sells Hustler but I do jot want to deal with them. They are high to deal with on most things. I always loved Kubota stuff. We have 500 hours + on a ZD 326 and it has been a trouble free machine and it has been run under brutal conditions. We also have a ZG 222 that has 350 hours as well and it too has been hammered on. They are both built like tanks and I honestly do not believe that anybody builds a mower any tougher. The only reason I would consider anything other than Kubota is that they just do not it Bahia grass that well and we cut a butt load of it this time of the year. Almost every yard you cut in our area is it every two weeks and is normally pretty good sized. I think I am going to look hard at a Scag and see what it will do.

Nwatson99

Threads
You are a kubota fan and if you get something else you will be mad as heck at yourself, just wait on that new 700, demo it, and go from there.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are a kubota fan and if you get something else you will be mad as heck at yourself, just wait on that new 700, demo it, and go from there.

I do love Kubota Equipment for sure. In our part of the world you see people get rid of other stuff and get Kubota, but I never saw anybody get rid of a Kubota and get something else. When I started up my Lawn Service in 2012 I almost bought a Skag. I instead bought a Kubota. As far as service and reliability are concerned I definately have not regretted it. Cutting the type customers we have cut our mowers take a pounding many times.

The only problem I have with Kubota is they do not cut Bahia grass well and in LA, Lower Alabama it is in 99% of the yards you cut. Also 99%+ of the yards we cut are 2 week yards. Therefore you double cut about everything.

I am gonna give Skag a hard look. If it will cut it I am gonna buy it.

Nwatson99

Threads
Well let us know how they both work after you demo them.

Oh and why does everyone get on a two week cut down there?
We have the argentina bahia grass here and you folks have the copperhead, rattlesnake, and cottonmouth so isn't that thick bladed grass on a two week cut even better hiding place and attractant to those devils?