Dead mower

bguler

Forum Newbie
I was mowing with my oust mower yesterday and it started running slow and then I heard a clang and it died. When I pull the cord the blades spin but the engine doesn't even try to start. Did I shear some thing? Help!!!! :frown:
 
I was mowing with my oust mower yesterday and it started running slow and then I heard a clang and it died. When I pull the cord the blades spin but the engine doesn't even try to start. Did I shear some thing? Help!!!! :frown:

I clang sounds like the blade hit something. Check your flywheel key.
 
From the sounds of the engine "first" running slow before it died, may indicate "oil too low" and the resulting "clang" may be your connecting rod breaking as a result of low oil.
 
Try taking the spark plug out and put a small screwdriver against the piston and turn the engine slowly and see if the piston comes up and down. If not, it's probably a connecting rod broken loose like the previous mechanic mentioned. Just a thought, if it's hard to turn over and binding down and a clang, it could have been the engine brake having let go and grabbing the engine like a brake on a car holding. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.
 
Back
Top