D170. Doesnt Stop When Let Off Foot Control?

JonnyBlaze

Threads
D170. 240 hours. Just purchased used. I noticed the tractor doesnt stop when I am on a hill when I let off the forward/reverse control. It stops with the brake pedal no problem. Also, with the trans disengage rod on the back, I can push the tractor forward and back with a little drag felt and moves freely without any drag with the rod pulled out, disengaged.

So is there an adjustment or does the drive belt need to be replaced or is this how the newer tractors operate?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
ON level ground when you take your foot off the F-R pedal, the mower should stop moving, rather than come to a brake on type of stop.
Or to put it another way, it should not creep in neutral. There is adjustments on the pedal at the box to correct this.
Neutral is just that neutral so same as on your car on a hill, in neutral it will roll.
A box that shows little resistance to the mower being pushed without the bypass dissengaged is worn, which is to be expected with those hours on it.
You can change the oil if you like.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
It drives forward and reverse fine. Are you saying the transmission is worn out? What box?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It drives forward and reverse fine. Are you saying the transmission is worn out? What box?

Gear box, tranny if you like.
Not worn out but showing wear.
Modern hydros are very cheap and because of this have a finite service life.
The market was too cheap to pay for proper hydro pumps so Eatons got out of the mower business.
JD tend to use a lighter grade of oil than the makers use as standard so replacing the oil with 20W 50 full synthetic can postpone the total failure a bit further.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Is there a write up on the oil change?