D110 belt issue

MoonManMoon

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I have a John Deere D110 and my belt snapped. Got a replacement and I’m trying to seat it around all my pulleys. I know the correct way to get the belt situated except for the fact that I can’t get it onto the pulley attached to the tensioner mechanism.
The guide tab is too close to the side of the pulley, there’s no way to slip the belt on. I’ve even removed the nut on top but I can’t lift up the pulley at all to creat a gap for the belt.

I’m at a loss here. It’s literally the only thing keeping me from getting this finished.
Any help would be appreciated.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've done this before, multiple times, get a pair of pliers, and bend the tab out, slip the belt in, and bend the tab back to its original position.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like the deck idler arm pulley.

Good luck on bending that 3/16 steel plate with just a pair pliers. Idler pulley is stuck on the shouldered bolt and need to be pulled off or pried off. In either case there is a good chance that you will damage the pulley.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Sounds like the deck idler arm pulley.

Good luck on bending that 3/16 steel plate with just a pair pliers. Idler pulley is stuck on the shouldered bolt and need to be pulled off or pried off. In either case there is a good chance that you will damage the pulley.
MTD must use thinner metal on their deck guides.

NorthBama

Threads
I have loosened the mounting bolt of the idler pulley and it gives some wiggle room to slip the belt on

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
MTD must use thinner metal on their deck guides.
Yes they do. They are 1/8 or less. I have seen them bent and / or broken just throwing a belt due a bad idler pulley. That is why I have several different MTD belt retainers in stock.

I have loosened the mounting bolt of the idler pulley and it gives some wiggle room to slip the belt on
The OP said the idler is stuck as he already removed the nut.

NorthBama

Threads
Yes they do. They are 1/8 or less. I have seen them bent and / or broken just throwing a belt due a bad idler pulley. That is why I have several different MTD belt retainers in stock.

The OP said the idler is stuck as he already removed the nut.
ok my bad