CV740 dies after getting hot....at my wits end on this

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / CV740 dies after getting hot....at my wits end on this
I've never heard it described that way.
Type 'afterfire fire solenoid " into Google and see what comes up.

"but it will also flood the engine with gas while it sits unused since that is what the solenoid it there to stop"
That is wrong because it happened to me, Kohler courage 19, needle failed and filled the crankcase up with gas. My solenoid didn't stop it.
Many engines don't have those and rarely flood... Why? The needle is doing that job.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry Keakar but you are mistaken
The only reason the the solenoid is there is to comply with EPA regualtions to prevent the engine drawing fuel through the carb main jet and pumping unburned fuel out the muffler after your turn the engine off during those last few revolutions.
BEcause the engines run very lean now days the mufflers are red hot internally and when the air fuel ration becomes correct for burning at atmospheric pressure it ignites in the muffler causing what is called an "afterfire"
To prevent all the "freedom fighting rednecks" ripping them off they get called an "anti- afterfire" device and not an EPA device.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And it does not stop the engine from flooding when not in use.
Again EPA regulations do not allow any part of the fuel system to be open to the atmosphere so if the float needle fails the carb bowl will fill up to the point that fuel will come out of the air vent passage then run down the carb & into the engine totally bypassing the main jet .
I see this every day in the work shop . It is very very common & because some ego with poo where it's brain should be posted on Y-tube that the solenoid prevents the engine flooding when not in use then all the other equally brainless fools perpertated they myth because they were too lazy to think it through properly. till eventually it became an undisputed fact

Bigdummy58

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is basically the same problem I’m having. Thanks for all the input.

cbs123

Threads
lol, WRONG !!!

it is there as a backup secondary safety to shut off fuel to starve the engine and shut it down

backfiring is only related to timing or improper valve adjustment
It probably serves both purposes, but itn does indeed prevent shutdown backfiring. A common problem on motors before fuel solenoids. Fuel would spray into the hot exhaust and "backfire"

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It probably serves both purposes, but itn does indeed prevent shutdown backfiring. A common problem on motors before fuel solenoids. Fuel would spray into the hot exhaust and "backfire"
Yes in practice it stops the after fire and in doing so kills the engine.
However the later is a side effect and should never be considered as an intentional us.
These fail regularly both in the closed & open position
More than one mower has turned up with the kill wire removed from the magneto so the owner was relying upon the solenoid to shut the engine off rather than finding the electrical problem & fixing it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those afterfire solenoids are a regular reason for folks bringing riders in to work on. Open coil, wire broke off, rubber tip turned to goo, rubber tip turned hard, plunger stuck open, plunger stuck closed. Kohler seems to think their solenoids are special even though they fail more than others. I have used OEM ones and the $15 chineese ones. Hate to say it but the $15 solenoids work just as good as the OEM ones.