CV461s 16 HP. New aftermarket carb, won't run correctly?

joea99

Threads
  • / CV461s 16 HP. New aftermarket carb, won't run correctly?
Sears/Craftsman LT1000 model 917.272061 with Kohler CV461s. As I inherited a JD 240GT I was going to sell the LT1000 as "Ran fine when parked". But, in a fit of "conscience", I found it would not start, even on starter fluid. Pulled my ad.

Replaced coil and it would start and run on spritz can. Not getting gas. Found solenoid on carb to be stuck and would not free up.

Ordered and installed an Aftermarket Carb and fuel filter. It ran fine when started up, so embarked on more fixes. New Blades, Belt, an idler pulley and, having snapped it, the clutch actuator cable. Ah, Ready for Freddy.

Oops. Got about 5 feet and it started running rough then quit. See what having a conscience will do for you?

Fiddled around a bit and found it would run ok, but just a bit shy of "choke 100% off". But it was a bit finicky. As in not consistent.

They replaced the carb, no questions asked, no return required. Same deal. I could see the throttle lever "hunting" a lot and decided that having no bushing in the carb hole end allowed too much "slop" for it to be happy, so ordered the only part I could find. That did not really fit well, seeming it would not snap on to the rod and not interfere with the range of motion. Kind of "mirror image" would seem right.

Anyway, that did not resolve the issue, so, ordered another After Market from another supplier, that also claimed to be for this engine. And a number of others, so . . .

It does the same thing. I find these carbs have two adjustment screws, one is fully exposed and appears to control idle speed, the other is "in" the carb and I suspect must be for "richness". Changing that screw seems to do nothing.

Suggestions? Other than "part it out", "cut your losses"? Well, I guess those are valid also, so fire away.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Service Manual CV461 above, See section 5 Fuel System.
Aftermarket carb. https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-12-853-93-Kohler-Craftsman-Riding/dp/B08LCHVQKF
Non OEM Kohler Carburetor above will not work. If engine part is not OEM Kohler refrain from purchasing.

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Service Manual CV461 above.
Aftermarket carb. https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-12-853-93-Kohler-Craftsman-Riding/dp/B08LCHVQKF
Non OEM Kohler Carburetor above will not work. If engine part is not OEM Kohler refrain from purchasing.
My suggestion is to do what you can to try to get original carburetor to work. My experience with aftermarket carburetors in general is good, just not with Kohler engines. You may have to drill out pilot jet to get air/fuel mixture right. If you don’t know how to do this, do not attempt.

joea99

Threads
My suggestion is to do what you can to try to get original carburetor to work. My experience with aftermarket carburetors in general is good, just not with Kohler engines. You may have to drill out pilot jet to get air/fuel mixture right. If you don’t know how to do this, do not attempt.
I've used aftermarket carbs on other gear, chainsaws, splitters and such, with good results. None of them where Kohlers, now that I review them.

The big problem with the original carb was the solenoid was pretty rare and the one I found the price of 4 of these aftermarket carbs. I guess I should see if I can adapt one of the new ones.

Nothing to loose to try, or even to drill out the jet.

joea99

Threads
Service Manual CV461 above.
Thanks for the link to the manual.

Already ordered a very similar one. Two in fact, each from different suppliers. Both acted basically the same.

I'll see if I can rustle up the old carb and get it going, even without the solenoid.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You can't willy nilly replace carburetor.

Now you didn't post the spec number of the CV461 but if it is the original engine then the spec 26504, which the current carburetor is PN 12 853 179-S (superseded from 12 853 132-S) and it lists for $231.38.

And yes if you have the original Nikki carburetor the fuel solenoid is unique as it has the main fuel jet mounted on the solenoid. This mean that they are going to be costly as Kohler engines were the only ones to use it.

joea99

Threads
You can't willy nilly replace carburetor.

Now you didn't post the spec number of the CV461 but if it is the original engine then the spec 26504, which the current carburetor is PN 12 853 179-S (superseded from 12 853 132-S) and it lists for $231.38.

And yes if you have the original Nikki carburetor the fuel solenoid is unique as it has the main fuel jet mounted on the solenoid. This mean that they are going to be costly as Kohler engines were the only ones to use it.

It is a CV461s code 26504.

Surely there must be a workable replacement does not cost more than the mower is worth(.) (?). I guess that falls between a statement and a question.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Three different carbs all with the same result would lead me to believe that it's not a carb issue. Are you getting power to the fuel solenoid? Any possibility of posting a video showing how the engine acts?

joea99

Threads
Three different carbs all with the same result would lead me to believe that it's not a carb issue. Are you getting power to the fuel solenoid? Any possibility of posting a video showing how the engine acts?
Two actually. Both aftermarket. It ran fine on the original carb, last summer. I just parked it when I got the other mower.

There were two issues when attempting to get it going. The coil was bad. Replaced and ran on ether or gas dribbled in the carb. The solenoid was bad on the original carb, so, went with aftermarket, as reviews seemed positive.

It crossed my mind that maybe it was some other issue. But what?

I can try and make a video later on, a bit under the weather at the moment.

It does have power to the solenoid. Basically, it will start and run on the choke. After warming a bit, starts to sputter on the choke smooths out when the choke is off but then dies unless put back on the choke, "just a tad". It will run pretty well that way, but not without some fiddling with the choke. Never full on, but not "off" either.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
You know the carb off a SV singles will work right on the CV singles. Have uesd them on several occasions have one on a CV490 right now. Runs fine.