CV15-41562 Ticking Noise?

cruzenmike

Threads
Just for grins you could change out the oil for conventional straight 30wt and see what happens. It won't hurt it with the temps we have right now. I have seen engines make valve train noise with thin oil.
When I first started looking into this, everything that I read kept saying to bed sure to run 10w30 in these engines as single weight oils will make more noise. In my case I don't think it would matter since the noise isn't at startup (10w) but rather when the engine gets up to temp (30w). I do not know which oil was run in the machine before I got it but I started using Kohler Synthetic 10w30 when I first changed the oil. I might look into a conventional 10w30 such as the Deere oil to see if that makes a difference. Either way, I think the lifters need to be swapped. It is only by a lack of ability for the rod to return up (follow the rocker) that it would then let the rocker tap on the rod. In other words, short or a not-so-likely cam issue, it is the lifter going/gone bad.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been running Rotella T 15w40 with a dose of Rislone ZDDP additive in my Kohler twin lately. Getting old at 700 hours but this oil seems to do the job fine. Old throwaway JD L130 that I'm going to keep going until it keels over completely.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have run Rotella 15w40 in my 1976 International 184 for over 20 years with no issues. No hour meter but probably got about 100 hours a year on it for the first 20 years of its life.

cruzenmike

Threads
I guess I am picking up the mower tomorrow without any repairs being completed by the dealer.

I got a call from them this morning and he went over a list that the Technician gave him. $1250!!!!!!!!!!

This was what he stated was the "worst case scenario." The job would include a new camshaft, new cylinder head and lifter and all labor to tear down and rebuild.

I am sorry but I think that this guy is CRAZY. I did ask what the bare minimum it would cost to do just the valves, lifters and rods and the labor alone was over $400 based on the service manual. Also, he stated that the Technician wouldn't necessarily be willing to put in new valves if for some reason they would't "seat" properly in the head.

So, I decided that I would just pay them for the half hour of labor they have into "diagnosing" it and I will just tear the top end down myself. I am quite certain that if the rods are valves are in good condition, then I will just swap out the lifters with new ones, put a new head gasket one and put it back together. I will tie up a few hours of my time and maybe $100 of parts including an oil change and hopefully it will fix my problem. At this point I just cannot justify spending any more than $500 on it no matter what guarantees I get, but with the engine being 22 years old, nothing short of a complete overhaul will really provide any guarantee.

With the long weekend ahead, I hope to at least have it torn down by Monday so that I can get a list of parts together to order next week.

I will report back with pictures once I get the head off.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yeah, sure sounds like that shop was B.S.'ing you /didn't want to do the work... or they assumed you didn't know nothing about engine and were taking you to the cleaners....New valves wouldn't seat properly in the head? That's what Permatex lapping compound is for and a suction tool or a valve grinder.

$30 for 2 lifters and 12 for a head gasket.

cruzenmike

Threads
Yeah, sure sounds like that shop was B.S.'ing you /didn't want to do the work... or they assumed you didn't know nothing about engine and were taking you to the cleaners....New valves wouldn't seat properly in the head? That's what Permatex lapping compound is for and a suction tool or a valve grinder.

There excuse with the valves is that they are "not a machine shop" and therefore if they had any issue at all with the new valves, they wouldn't be able to address the issue. I do not disagree that they obviously don't want the business. When I first called it was going to be $500 to do the head job, and I was fine with that. I took it up there to have that job done, and now they are saying that it MIGHT need this and that and so on getting me up to $1250 to do the whole job. I have a very clean, well maintained, and otherwise well running machine, with the exception of this INTERMITTENT tap under the valve cover. I would not think that this was a major problem and therefore the engine that they would be working on wouldn't have any surprises once they opened it up. Like I said, I think at this point I might as well attempt to fix myself and if in the end the engine blows up I only wasted a bit of time and a lot less money.

It's these situations that make me wonder why I didn't just buy a new machine when I had the urge.....

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Heck, you might try adding the correct amount of marvel mystery oil to the crankcase, I have read of people having good success with it quieting car lifters.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love how they can create a quote for repairs $$$$ when they haven't even open the engine up yet. Tech can't hear anything now. Like yes it's going to cost you $$$$ and it sounds proper??

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Heck, you might try adding the correct amount of marvel mystery oil to the crankcase, I have read of people having good success with it quieting car lifters.
He is using Kroller synthetic already. Unless it's not the recommended oil grade? Possibly should be using 30w? Bet some good ol' 30w will quieten her down. Course there is no noise per JD tech so what are we talking about? That engine sounds normal.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads

Do you think these shops work for free? Like bring in your mower. We will fix it AND give you a $500 bonus check LOL. He took it to a JD shop, not some local mower hack on a street corner.

By the way OP, how much does your cell phone cost?

slomo