Cutting tree limbs

Pika

Active Member
What is the best way to remove extra tree limbs? Is the chainsaw the best plan or would we be better off using a hand saw, or is there another way altogether?
 
It all depends on how high they are - where they are - how big they are - how confident you are with a chain saw ----- ????

I have light chain saw for limbing, pole loppers, manual pole saws, and a chain saw pole saw. Each for it's own use.

Hope that isn't too confusing ---- :confused2: :biggrin:
 
If you aren't trained for it don't even think of climbing up a tree with a chainsaw -- it's a job for a pro. A pole saw is a good alternative. The good ones are telescoping -- that's what I'm in the market for now.
 
What is the best way to remove extra tree limbs? Is the chainsaw the best plan or would we be better off using a hand saw, or is there another way altogether?

For somebody that doesn't even have a mower, a chain saw is a really dangerous tool to have. I have used mine standing on a commercial grade stepladder, but NEVER on a tree itself. That is a VERY foolish thing to do. A good sharp hand saw is a LOT safer. You can also buy high limb saws that are basically a saw chain coupled to two ropes that are used from the ground, I made my own from a used saw chain and a pair of ropes, it did the job well.
 
I used an axe and a hand saw on my apple tree when I cut the excess branches off. It worked well enough. I'd never use a chainsaw nowadays, though I did when I was younger.
 
I use a chainsaw and ladder if the limbs are high.I try to place the ladder if possible so that the tree will shield me from the limb I'm cutting.Some of the weedeaters have chainsaw attachments but I've never used one.Manual pole saws work well for small limbs. russ
 
If you don't know what you are doing with a chainsaw DON"T USE ONE a bowsaw handsaw pole pruning saw all work well.
If its a heap of branches call a pro
 
Back
Top