Cut Quality: Garden Tractor versus ZTR

Brucebotti

Threads
I'm a newbie here that has been lurking, learning, and searching. I have a question, but I don't want to start a firestorm.

Would Garden Tractors and ZTR's of equal quality give an equal cut quality. I know that the ZTR is likely faster and more maneuverable, but is the actual cut quality better? Is the blade tip speed on a ZTR fater?

Thanks,
Bruce

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm a newbie here that has been lurking, learning, and searching. I have a question, but I don't want to start a firestorm.

Would Garden Tractors and ZTR's of equal quality give an equal cut quality. I know that the ZTR is likely faster and more maneuverable, but is the actual cut quality better? Is the blade tip speed on a ZTR fater?

Thanks,
Bruce

I would say the ZTR would have a better cut quality than a Garden tractor. The ZTR would have a Higher Blade Tip speed than a garden Tractor and add to that, the ZTR is designed strictly for the purpose of cutting and not much else says it's quality of cut would be better.

scott47429

Threads
i have to agree with Ric i use to have a high dollar garden tractor before i got a ZTR and the diffrence in blade speed and cut is unbeleveable

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say that it would depend on a couple of variables. 1. Type of deck setup and blades used. Making sure that you have the right style of blades for your mower setup and that you keep the deck clean affects the look of the cut. 2. Ground speed if unit. The slower the ground speed, the better the cut. 3. Size of deck. The smaller the deck the better the cut. 4. Operator and type of grass. This is the biggest variable. Having an operator who knows how to use the machine, means more than which machine you are using. Some grasses need to be cut more often and at different heights to look good. All things considered, I would say that they would be the same, in the hands of an experienced operator, who knows how to adjust the variables listed.

possum

Threads
Gonna have to agree with Rivets. You see very good with both.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gonna have to agree with Rivets. You see very good with both.

My "challenge" to user Rivet's theory is.......why don't I see more professional lawn service trailers with "lawn tractors" on them??? I know a lot of that is about "speed"(the time it takes for each customer, to do as many lawns per day as possible) and the "durability" of a Commercial ZTR, but again these guys are being paid good money to provide a "professional landscaped look" and if they could do that with what would have to be a "cheaper machine" why don't they?? And just to add some "fire" to the "firestorm"(I just know that user Lawn Mower Fanatic will have to respond to this one:0)......what about comparing the "cut quality" of a push mower to a ZTR or Garden Tractor???????

txzrider

Threads
much better results with ztr's, every lt or gt I have mowed with scalped at certain times and never gave me the quality of cut of a good finish mower... both my ztr's have very high quality of cuts. I am sure deck design matters, but I also think how wel the deck floats and blade speed matters as well.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
i never owned a zero turn but have use them i would say that the zero turn is a little better but not by much :thumbsup::wink:

Brucebotti

Threads
Thanks for the help. From everything I've read, the ZTR gives a better cut "all things being equal".

Another question I have is, can a ZTR tow my DR powered leaf vac? It isn't too heavy empty, and my property is relatively flat.

Thanks,
Bruce

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the help. From everything I've read, the ZTR gives a better cut "all things being equal".

Another question I have is, can a ZTR tow my DR powered leaf vac? It isn't too heavy empty, and my property is relatively flat.

Thanks,
Bruce

It is very doubtful if it's what I think it is as there weight runs between 310 to around 340lbs. There are some ztr's that are rated to pull some good weight but they will be pricey. If you're wanting to do something like that then the Garden Tractor would be a better choice for a mower.