Cut lengths

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would guess like you say cut a little higher than the "minimum" and cut often(using the "1/3 rule" ) but that's a problem for some especially if they're paying clients. Using the 1/3 rule is better on the grass, mower and the guy doing the cutting. As far as striping goes your talking to the wrong guy I don't like striping, never have I think it makes a residential lawn look ridiculous. It has its place like on athletic fields and such and it's fine but not on someones home but that's just my opinion. As far as the minimum heights are concerned my guess is they would be better to use on like Bermuda and such as that is what is used on ball fields and they strip the heck out of those, just guessing.

Ric,
I kinda feel similarly about striping because I think is more of a "passing fad" than anything. If I invested in a striping kit, I wouldn't spend a lot of $ on it and I would only use it occaisionally(maybe every 3 or 4 cuttings) just to give the yard a "different" look. But just like many "fads", I'm sure that for lawn care professionals there are those customers who "insist" on having their lawn striped. If one of your existing customers(or a new prospective customer) told you they want you to stripe their lawn(and maybe threaten to go to another service to get that done) what would you do???

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric,
I kinda feel similarly about striping because I think is more of a "passing fad" than anything. If I invested in a striping kit, I wouldn't spend a lot of $ on it and I would only use it occaisionally(maybe every 3 or 4 cuttings) just to give the yard a "different" look. But just like many "fads", I'm sure that for lawn care professionals there are those customers who "insist" on having their lawn striped. If one of your existing customers(or a new prospective customer) told you they want you to stripe their lawn(and maybe threaten to go to another service to get that done) what would you do???

Personally if I had a client ask me to stripe there lawn I'd tell them NO, if they told me they would find someone else if I didn't do what they asked I'd tell them have at it and good luck. There are to many people who want lawn work done to fool around with someone. The thing is I schedule my work daily. My clients know the day there lawn will be cut. I know where we will be and what time I'm going to be there unless it rains and then it's catch up time.

Last edited:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally if I had a client ask me to stripe there lawn I'd tell them NO, if they told me they would find someone else if I didn't do what they asked I'd tell them have at it and good luck. There are to many people who want lawn work done to fool around with someone. The thing is I schedule my work daily. My clients know the day there lawn will be cut. I know where we will be and what time I'm going to be there unless it rains and then it's catch up time.

Ric,
Sounds like you run a tight ship with your lawn care business and stick to your "business plan/rules", which is an admirable trait to most customers. It's probably in your interest to lose a customer or two rather than change the way you operate and take a chance on losing customers for other "non-trivial" reasons. Sometimes the two basic rules of business dont always apply:
1)The customer is always right.
2)When the customer is wrong.......refer to Rule#1.
:0)

sgmgarden

Threads
During the summer you will more than likely have to increase the number of times you cut your grass. If the conditions are ideal then you should try and cut your grass around twice a week to keep it looking good. However, try not to cut your grass too short as it can cause more damage and encourages the likes of unwanted weeds and moss to start growing. I hope this helps