Cub Cadet XT2 won't engage drive or reverse

John Fitzgerald

Threads
It's the same hydrostatic transmission I have. The brake lever has to release FULLY to tighten the belt. The brake may release enough to easily push the tractor with the HST release pushed in, but not enough to tighten the belt. You need to reach under and push the lever backward if it isn't back enough to tighten the belt. Something is binding if your belt is on correctly. Did you try to work the brake rapidly back and forth, then feel the belt?

Last edited:

quantumspores

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update:

(1) I removed all the pulley and tensioning components, clean them and put everything back along with a new tension spring. The belt seems reasonable tight and the rear transmission pulley turns in sync with the engine pulley - still doesn't drive.

(2) I manually checked the brake lever at the rear wheel and it is not obstructed and I cannot push it further than it is when the brake is disengaged, so it does not appear to be sticking.

(3) I removed every blade of grass and piece of debris I could find both by high pressure hose and then by hand.

After doing all the above the tractor does not want to drive. if I push the peddle the entire way down it will crawl forward about 1" of a wheel turn at a time - whether the engine is at high rev or low rev. Forward only, no reverse.

Any thoughts? I'm running out of ideas.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back in post # 7 you were asked some questions & given some instructions.
In particular to check that the drive pulley is turning the drive shaft and to check that the bypass valve is closed.
If the actual shaft is turning then either the bypass is open or the trannie is stuffed.
It is a yes / no situation.