Cub Cadet XT2 with Kohler V Twin engine question?

Rickcin

Threads
I’m wondering if there’s an easy way to drain gas from the carburetor since the engine has been surging at low rpm’s so I’m guessing it’s a fuel related issue?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take a picture of your model number under tractor seat with your phone. Click Cub website above then Service & Parts then Owners Manual using model number & read manual. Safety First: remove spark plug boots & place shop towel under carburetor then turn fuel cutoff valve to stop flow. Proceed to remove fuel lines & carburetor. You may want to drain gas tank if fuel is old, stale, & dirty. Let us know how it goes thanks Mark
My sons & I use 93 octane gasoline & Star Tron Fuel Treatment in our B&S Vanguard Engines, 2006, 2009, 2010 year models. Replace your fuel filter also. We have not had issues with fuel problems.

Last edited:

Rickcin

Threads
Yes, I realize that and it’s part of the reason why I decided on a Cub Cadet, however an extended warranty won’t cover the price of a mechanic to come to my house and resolve a fuel issue or have the tractor hauled to the shop.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No drain bolts on any carbs other than Honda ones
usually you can just remove the solenoid to drain the carb
To do that you just need a very thin bladed 1/2 spannar although depending upon the position you might needt to do come custom bends
I have about a dozen 1/2 inches bent to all sorts of angles to achieve this task without having to put the Dracular teeth in and hang from the ceiling most times you do have to remove the blower housing

Rickcin

Threads
Take a picture of your model number under tractor seat with your phone. Click Cub website above then Service & Parts then Owners Manual using model number & read manual. Safety First: remove spark plug boots & place shop towel under carburetor then turn fuel cutoff valve to stop flow. Proceed to remove fuel lines & carburetor. You may want to drain gas tank if fuel is old, stale, & dirty. Let us know how it goes thanks Mark
My sons & I use 93 octane gasoline & Star Tron Fuel Treatment in our B&S Vanguard Engines, 2006, 2009, 2010 year models. Replace your fuel filter also. We have not had issues with fuel problems.
I do use non ethanol gas along with stabilizer always, in all of my equipment.
Perhaps there some water in the fuel from moisture since the mower is stored in an unheated shed?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Can simply that carburetor is not properly adjusted. Like the idle rpms are set too low. Where throttle is closing too much, blocking the idle ports, and governor tries correct for a a dying engine but over does it and surging occurs.

Rickcin

Threads
Can simply that carburetor is not properly adjusted. Like the idle rpms are set too low. Where throttle is closing too much, blocking the idle ports, and governor tries correct for a a dying engine but over does it and surging occurs.
I guess it could be that, however the tractor is 5 years old and this just started recently, that’s why I thought it might be a fuel issue.

Rickcin

Threads
  • / Cub Cadet XT2 with Kohler V Twin engine question?
Apparently my surging engine problem has been resolved and it was not due to bad fuel or a carburetor issue.

After doing a bunch of reading on line, I discovered that various small engine fuel filters are not all the same micron size which allow slight different amounts of fuel to pass through and I had the wrong filter on the engine.

Once I replaced it with the exact Koehler part, the engine runs perfectly, either at full throttle or just barely idling, problem solved❗

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet XT2 with Kohler V Twin engine question?
Nice to hear you got her running.

There is a huge difference in most mower filters. Briggs makes some that have no kidding window screen material inside. Like this one. Waste of money.
1683067229944.png
This type is good.
1683067687976.png

So is this one.

Attachments

• 1683067716522.png
    1683067716522.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 1