Cub Cadet XT1 with 547cc Intellipower valve clearance needed

porkchopz32

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet XT1 with 547cc Intellipower valve clearance needed
A friend dropped off his Cub Cadet XT1 with Intellipower to get running with crank no start. After I drained the overfilled and extra quart of oil (not overly thin or gassy smelling) and changing his "new" spark plug which was oil fouled it started but ran weak with lightly black smoke. Owner said he had cleaned the air filter, replaced fuel filter, spark plug, drained and refilled fresh gas. I drained the carb bowl and ultimately pulled the carb inspecting and cleaning the bottom end of carb. Carb was pristine in bowl and the holes in the impulsion tube were all clear. The needle was clean and held pressure when raised. The backfire selonoid worked with ignition switch. I checked the flywheel key which looked intact. The mower had 110 hours so I pulled the valve cover and found the valves were tight as dicks hatband at TDC. I couldn't find any specs on the valve clearance so I backed them out to .004 for both exhaust and intake. After each of these steps I would start it to evaluate. After valve adjustment it seemed to start and run a little better but still weak. At this point I'm thinking fuel air mix but the top of this carb has electric motors that control the guts, so it exceeded my shadetree abilities to try anything else on the carb. I then took the air filter off and it ran like a champ with the filter off. I blew out the air filter which was still holding a bit of dirt, just to get by until a new one is picked up. It runs good with the filter back on. I always tell myself to not trust anyone elses work and check for myself. NOW the guy that has been yelling "check/change the air filter" ..... You can sit down, it took a while but ""I finally heard you "". I'm telling the owner to do an immediate oil/filter change along with the air filter.
All this to lay the foundation to ask if anyone knows the valve clearance specs for this 547cc??? My .004 is better than it was but I was teetering on .006 on exhaust.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet XT1 with 547cc Intellipower valve clearance needed
Looks like .004-.006 is the clearance for both valves