Cub Cadet with Briggs and Stratton motor

Forest#2

Threads
I did not see where you stated for sure it is the double throat type. (by looking at the IPL of the carbs in the link)
Both type carbs use a fuel solenoid so that cannot be used as a ID to my question.
The reason I asked which carb is
being used is because I've seen different running symptoms (issues) depending on which carb is used when the carb starts going bad or when a Clone is used as a replacement.
When we ask you questions we have our reasons for such. You are our eyes so we can try to get on the same page as you when trying to help you.

I seen this statement in your post #14 is why I asked again for a confirm.
As far as the carb goes I believe it is a double based on the fuel solenoid that it has.

garry6913

Threads
I did not see where you stated for sure it is the double throat type. (by looking at the IPL of the carbs in the link)
Both type carbs use a fuel solenoid so that cannot be used as a ID to my question.
The reason I asked which carb is
being used is because I've seen different running symptoms (issues) depending on which carb is used when the carb starts going bad or when a Clone is used as a replacement.
When we ask you questions we have our reasons for such. You are our eyes so we can try to get on the same page as you when trying to help you.

I seen this statement in your post #14 is why I asked again for a confirm.
As far as the carb goes I believe it is a double based on the fuel solenoid that it has.
I have the parts break down from Briggs which is the same as the one you asked me to go to. In looking at the fuel solenoid there are 2 versions of it. One built before code date 04080400. That is the fuel solenoid my carb has which is double barrel steel bowl. The id on the carb only says Nikki R. I believe my problem is the carb I bought. It has the newer version fuel solenoid.

Forest#2

Threads
You say:
I believe my problem is the carb I bought. It has the newer version fuel solenoid.

Chances are you are correct about a China clone replacement when they are the double throat type.
If you got it using Amazon Prime you can get a FREE return and refund for all.

Here is a link that shows some good useful info about them Nikki carbs, but usually not any need into taking a NEW clone one apart because you got one that was built bad and chance of repair is slim to none. I have taken parts out of a clone in the bowl are, o rings and jets and used into a real Nikki. Most generally no need in going into the upper part of them, just the bowl area and it's really common for the O-rings on the jets to be bad plus the upper gaskets.
https://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

Note that I did not say you have a bad carb, but here is some info about those that I've saved/filed for reference and put to good use.

Here is more info when getting deep into a dual throat Nikki. (and the other ones)
some of the info is reduntant because I C/P'ed

Info about your carb

A kt that has the o rings/gaskets

Amazon.com: 797890 Carburetor Overhaul Kit for Brigg 791230 799230 699709 499804 MIA10632 Carb V-Twin 4 Cycle 20HP 21HP 23HP 24HP 25HP Engine John JD MIA10632 LA135 LA120 LA130 LA140 LA145 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Use these number when browsing for a kit.

APHP 797890 796997 791230 Carburetor Overhaul Rebuild Kit for J&D LA120 LA130 LA135 LA140 LA145 LA150 LA165 LA155 Z425 Z245 L111 L118 L120 X140 D150 D160 D170 Lawn Tractor Husqvarna YTH22V46 YTH2348

5 2017

Small engines repairs links

Carbs, etc

12/2022

Nikki dual throat carb repair/rebuilding links

Nikki dual throat carb tips and re-building LINK.

Guy asks about jets sizing and re-building a dual throat Nikki carb

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/nikki-dual-carb-main-jets.29187/

You tube video part 1: (newer style aluminum float bowl Nikki) USE KIT 54832 @ $7

part 2 (older model with steel float bowl) USE KIT 54833 or 54834 @ $9 each depending on the style of Nikki. See part 2 of the video to determine which kit needed.

Search on-line for

VITON o-rings for Briggs & Stratton Nikki carburetor main jets rebuild kit

VITON o-rings for Briggs & Stratton Nikki carburetor main jets rebuild kit for sale

garry6913

Threads
Often when the key shears it damages the key ways in the flywheel or the crankshaft
Check carefully and you will probably find a lip on one edge on one of both
These will need to be removed carefully before you replace the key or the flywheel will not be able to lock onto the taper and the key will keep on sheari

You say:
I believe my problem is the carb I bought. It has the newer version fuel solenoid.

Chances are you are correct about a China clone replacement when they are the double throat type.
If you got it using Amazon Prime you can get a FREE return and refund for all.

Here is a link that shows some good useful info about them Nikki carbs, but usually not any need into taking a NEW clone one apart because you got one that was built bad and chance of repair is slim to none. I have taken parts out of a clone in the bowl are, o rings and jets and used into a real Nikki. Most generally no need in going into the upper part of them, just the bowl area and it's really common for the O-rings on the jets to be bad plus the upper gaskets.

Note that I did not say you have a bad carb, but here is some info about those that I've saved/filed for reference and put to good use.

Here is more info when getting deep into a dual throat Nikki. (and the other ones)
some of the info is reduntant because I C/P'ed

Info about your carb

A kt that has the o rings/gaskets

Amazon.com: 797890 Carburetor Overhaul Kit for Brigg 791230 799230 699709 499804 MIA10632 Carb V-Twin 4 Cycle 20HP 21HP 23HP 24HP 25HP Engine John JD MIA10632 LA135 LA120 LA130 LA140 LA145 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Use these number when browsing for a kit.

APHP 797890 796997 791230 Carburetor Overhaul Rebuild Kit for J&D LA120 LA130 LA135 LA140 LA145 LA150 LA165 LA155 Z425 Z245 L111 L118 L120 X140 D150 D160 D170 Lawn Tractor Husqvarna YTH22V46 YTH2348

5 2017

Small engines repairs links

Carbs, etc

12/2022

Nikki dual throat carb repair/rebuilding links

Nikki dual throat carb tips and re-building LINK.

Guy asks about jets sizing and re-building a dual throat Nikki carb

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/nikki-dual-carb-main-jets.29187/

You tube video part 1: (newer style aluminum float bowl Nikki) USE KIT 54832 @ $7

part 2 (older model with steel float bowl) USE KIT 54833 or 54834 @ $9 each depending on the style of Nikki. See part 2 of the video to determine which kit needed.

Search on-line for

VITON o-rings for Briggs & Stratton Nikki carburetor main jets rebuild kit

VITON o-rings for Briggs & Stratton Nikki carburetor main jets rebuild kit for sale
Kewl thank you very much

Johner

Threads
Maybe to late for this, Keyway on the Koler should be able to fix by tig welding the chipped area. I have had success with shaft keyways, If you try, a must is to heat the shaft before welding if you do not heat the shaft it could bend. Anyone that wants more detail let me know, glad to share.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The key is just for timing so there is no need to weld & remachine
The taper does all of the work
But a very small burr will prevent the taper from locking
On more than one engine I have needed to lap the taper in with lapping paste because it was too badly scored to lock tight.

srwa

Threads
Have a B & S 23hp Intek VTwin engine that has sheered several fly wheel keys due to inproper fly wheel torque, which is150 ft.#.

Problem; without a B & S fly wheel holder, which I don't have, is there some other way to hold the fly wheel in place??

Forest#2

Threads
You ever try a nylon strap from a ratchet strap?

Just let it wrap around the flywheel several times and then secure the end and then torque the flywheel nut.

I cannot recommend the rope method on your OHV because you can bend/break warp valves. This is feeding a chunk of rope into the cylinder and then as the piston comes up it contacts the rope. I use this method with care on small 2 cycle engines. The small 2 cycles do not have valves but have to be careful and make sure none of the rope is hanging out the exhaust port or the piston can cock sideways and cause damage.

srwa

Threads
"You ever try a nylon strap from a ratchet strap"?

Have not heard or seen that, will take a look. Going to try a 12 in. pair of vice grips around the fly wheel "flange" that is around the crank shaft. Have put 1 around it and locked it down hard, doesn't look like it will move.

Will be in touch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very important.
Clean up the tapers, both of them nice & shinny with a wire brush
Run your thumb nail around the hole and feel for any burrs particularly around the key slots
Any burr there, even if it is as small as 0.0001" will prevent the tapers from locking and must be removed
I file the burrs with a warding file then lap the two tapers against each other with lapping paste