Cub Cadet Tiller Input Shaft Seized

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If there is a bearing in there it’s probably a ball bearing cheap press fit into the housing. If you provide us with the units model and serial numbers we would have a better idea.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
More likely a needle bearing or bushing but without the equipment numbers it is only a guess.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
best guess is you will be the guinea pig in this experiment. Most of those type tillers the last 25 - 30 years or so that I have seen have welded case halves, that are disposable, and not easily disassembled. A Tractor Forum might have some folks who have dealt with bolted together transmissions like yours. I think if someone here was commonly versed in that transmission they would already be posting answers. My GUESS is that the shaft simply slides thru the inner race and will be a ball bearing based on the design and seal type.

I am also guessing that this is a free-standing tiller and not an accessory to a IH 147 or something like that.

I found this video using google and guessing on a model number since it wasn't provided

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve these trannys many times and have never seen needle bearings. Bushing 90% and ball 10%.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I’ve these trannys many times and have never seen needle bearings. Bushing 90% and ball 10%.
This is reason I need the model number.

Here is an example of one I just repaired recently that the input shaft uses two needle bearings.
1652223353518.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those bearings are not on the input shaft.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks folks. I’m going to try a hybrid plan… first a good cleaning then I’ll soak the drive end in a bucket of diesel. Then I’ll try the vice method with a heavy dose of liquid wrench applied under the sprocket. I’ll update in a week.
If you soak in diesel remember to degrease before you apply the penetrant of choice because most will not work on oily or greasy surfaces .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Those bearings are not on the input shaft.
Still wanting to argue...

Item 7 is the input shaft with bearings 4 and 8 on the IPL I posted so not all input shaft have bushings or ball bearings. There are some that have needle bearings.

1652227416420.png
1652227511232.png
1652227551604.png
As I said I need to the exact model the OP is working so I can look it up to see what is actually involved instead of guessing at things.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look at the shaft he’s trying to remove, to me it sure looks different than the one you posted. That being said, seeing your this forums resident expert and love to point out other members mistakes, I guess I must be wrong again. You can start ignoring me again, because I’m not going away, and I’ve argued with guys smarter than you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Look at the shaft he’s trying to remove, to me it sure looks different than the one you posted. That being said, seeing your this forums resident expert and love to point out other members mistakes, I guess I must be wrong again. You can start ignoring me again, because I’m not going away, and I’ve argued with guys smarter than you.
And it can be different that is why the model is needed. Once that is posted we all can be on the same page.

Don't take it the wrong way but there is no point at guessing at things when we all have access the IPLs to look for ourselves. The problem is that you said that 100% use either bushings or ball bearings and just pointed out that needle bearings are used too.

It like trying the tell me all Cub Cadet spindles are greased via the spindle shaft when I definitely know definitely know different as I just repaired one that grease via the spindle hub and not the shaft.