Cub Cadet spindle life

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is called a disposable mower .
Mower is repairable, It just not as end user serviceable as some are. Most ZTR and riders have sealed hydros. Doesn't mean they are not serviceable; it just that they must be remove to do so they are sealed as preventive maintenance measure, mainly to keep water and dirt out of them. I recently serviced a Tuff Torq K46 sealed unit. The oil fill had failed and oil looked like thinned peanut butter due water getting into the hydro. THe unit must be removed and turn upside down to drain the oil and replace the internal oil filter/strainer. Plus the oil pan is pull off upright the brake puck and a magnet or two falls out; upside down they don't.

The main problem I see would be the steering on SX54. I have seen one in person yet but looking at the IPL it looks rather involved repair wise. I prefer lap bars over this type of steering.

Sealed bearing with good grease and the appropriate amount of grease will last several years, just depends on usage level. I just rebuilt the spindles on 2019 17RIEACZ010 that the customer is using commercially. Of course they going to need more servicing.

Even the taper bearing spindles will still need the cones and cups replace sooner or later.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently had the pleasure of replacing the hydro drive belt on a CC RTZ. A bit of a PITA to do and probably not homeowner friendly. Replaced an idler and spindle bearings too. If you think CC is like the old CC stuff you are fooling yourself. Yellow paint doesn't make it better. And the steering linkage is too complicated plus the owner is going to sell it and get a conventional Z mower. Wife wanted the steering wheel but it is just a half a$$ zero turn according to him.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They make the RTZ in both versions. Yes changing the drive on any ZTR is pain as it usually requires removing the electric PTO clutch. CC and MTD has a bad habit of not using anti-seize compound on new equipment so a lot of the time the PTO and drive pulleys are stuck on the crankshaft. I have destroyed no telling how many CC ZTR drive pulleys over the years getting them off so I could the engines off and apart to service the internals.

wrldtvlr

Threads
It is called a disposable mower.
Perhaps a bit harsh, but understandable comment. In my case, I had just purchased a new house and needed a mower that could do two acres with the change left in my pocket. The RTZ SX price point was pretty much the top of what I could swing this year. Looking at the hour meter right now, I used it just under 50 hours for not quite a full season. If I can get 500 hours over the next 3 or 4 years without any significant maintenance, I'll be happy. By then I'll be in a better position to look at something more rugged (and expensive). Clearly, I'm CC's target market.

The main problem I see would be the steering on SX54. I have seen one in person yet but looking at the IPL it looks rather involved repair wise. I prefer lap bars over this type of steering.
In my case, the steering was an essential feature to handle the 20 degree slope the majority of my 2 acres has. The center of gravity on standard mowers was too high. ZTRs with lap bar steering (caster front wheels) would have dug up the grass too much and I wasn't convinced that turns on the slope would have been doable. The RTZ steering is pretty basic, but it serves a purpose for me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you intend to keep it for that long then make sure you regularly lift the floor plate and clean the debris out of the steering linkages

wrldtvlr

Threads
If you intend to keep it for that long then make sure you regularly lift the floor plate and clean the debris out of the steering linkages
Agreed. Have also been quite aggressive with the grease gun. Fortunately they did put zerks in key locations.