Cub Cadet LTX1050VT not charging

mjw357

Threads
Wife went to start tractor this afternoon, no go. Checked battery, 11.8v or something. Jumped it to start, 10.something across terminals. So the ignition/headlights are pulling it even lower while running, obviously not getting anything from the charging circuit. New battery as of last September.

Have battery on charger as I type this. Engine is B&S 24HP twin. Single black wire running up under flywheel area. Green connector to yellow wire to regulator/diode. Red wire running from regulator/diode out to tractor. Reg/diode is about 2" square by 1", bolts to engine shroud.

What voltages am I looking for? Easy way to test alternator/stator?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

mjw357

Threads
Thanks for the reply.

This manual references two white wires coming from stator, and shows a 3-wire type regulator.

I will try starting the engine and testing for AC voltage from the stator, then checking the output of the regulator. From What I have read and tested so far, I am leaning towards a bad regulator.

EDIT: Started mower, black wire just above idle about 30vac, at full throttle 42vac. Connected regulator, at full throttle, only getting about half a volt DC.

So, bad regulator I suppose?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Make sure you are getting 12 v from the battery at the wire that connects to the voltage regulator.

mjw357

Threads
Post all numbers from engine data plate, model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, code xxxxxxx.

B&S model 44M777
type 0720 B1
code 081219YG

There is 12.8v at red wire.

Ordered replacement for part # 491546.