crankshaft strightener

billsmowers

Threads
i have been offered a crankshaft straightener what are your views on straightening crankshafts ? the guy that has it for sale has been doing it over 25 years with no problems so he says

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It all depends on how much he wants for it. I really don't see a big call for straightening crank shafts. When I buy a tool I like it to pay for its self. The biggest call for bent crankshafts are cheap push mowers that are just replaceable other then spending any money on repairs.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Of course all Manufacturers state do not straighten crankshafts.

If all mowers were all fitted with the Hayter Harrier disc system then there would no need for a straightener.

Yes they do work and probably wont get many problems but the price of Mowers have came down in price so for a service and straighten of a Homebase/B&Q mower will be more expensive than buying new mower.

It has to be charged accordingly as it is time consuming.

billsmowers

Threads
It is the crank breaking that i am worried about at the moment i just replace the engine with a second hand one supply & fit briggs classic 35 ï½£40 i break machinery for recycling so always have second hand engines my customers will not pay the £45 - £55 a hour charged by dealers as you say low end mowers just not worth the cost this is where i come in with the recycling i do not compete with dealers they have there following i have mine.

billsmowers

Threads
just tried the straightener on a quantum and the crank snapped so will not be buying i will not take the chance of one breaking on a mower

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just how bad is a crankshaft bent before it breaks? Are you working with inches or just a few thousands? That is right you don't use inches in your country but metric but you get the idea.

billsmowers

Threads
Just how bad is a crankshaft bent before it breaks? Are you working with inches or just a few thousands? That is right you don't use inches in your country but metric but you get the idea.
i got the crank nearly straight it was very bad just went to tweak it a little more and bang it just snapped off on the scale on the straightener the needle would swing from one end of the scale to the other so it was bad just glad it was not on the mower being used

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Crank straitening on a used mower is a bad idea.
You have no idea what the mower has been through or how long it has been running with a bent crank.
You straiten it, they use it, it breaks off, you are liable unless you had it x-Rayed to check its structural integrity.
Best thing to do is put the crank in a scrap bin seperate from the rest of the scrap.
Foundries ( not scrap dealers ) will pay good money for bare cranks as it is clean scrap of known composition and a high end alloy to boot.