Crankshaft hard to turn even after flywheel removal

derustzelve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I am engaged in a fierce fight with my Briggs & Stratton Quantum 5hp push lawn mower.

It won't start and during my repair attempts the motor has 'locked up'. No oil in the piston by the way, it's not hydro locked.

I have checked the fuel holder, fuel line, there is a month old carburator which is still tip top and the primer works. Spark is fine, as is the spark plug as is the spark plug cable as is the magneto. Fuel is not old.
The oil is probably years old but at the right level, I will change it as soon as ( if) I get this issue fixed.

The situation: If I remove the coil and everything up to the flywheel I can get movement in het crankshaft and turn it by pulling hard on the blade or flywheel. After reassembly it will start for a few seconds and then die again, with the crankshaft locked up tight, the rope is not pullable, also not when I remove the spark plug.

Now I have removed the flywheel too and am looking at the bare crankshaft. It still is hard to turn by hand when I pull the blade. the crankshaft does not appear bent. I sprayed a bunch of WD40 on top of the crankshaft and bearing to let it soak overnight.

Question:
What can be wrong, other then a wasted engine, what can be done about it. Any ideas?