Cranking Problems

eadamov

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,

I have a LawnBoy walk behind lawnmower. Recently I hit a piece of metal while cutting the grass. The engine stalled and I restarted it. However it was really hard to pull the cranking rope and it looks like it gets worse.
I replaced the flywheel key even though it wasn't sheared. I inspected the crankshaft and the blade for biding and it's perfectly straight. The ignition is a solid state type. I put a zip tie on the engine brake lever. As well, I removed the rocker cover, the carb and the spark plug to see if anything is biding. Everything looks to be straight. I've noticed that on the compression stroke I have a puff of air coming from the crankcase up inside the top end. Is that a normal blowby or something I should worry about. I researched more and found out that it might be a timing problem, but the machine starts perfectly after one pull. Does any one have any ideas before I'll start ripping apart the engine?

This is a Honda GSV190 engine. The top and bottom end cases connected on 45 degree angle, so it's kind of tricky job to pull the apart.

Thanks in advance.

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Take the plug out and zip tie the engine break lever again put the handles on the ground so the front wheels are in the air and you can get a clear view of the blade. If you can get somebody to pull the starter rope whilst you watch the blade go round if its not concentric the crank is bent. If you have to do it by yourself you can spin the blade by hand spin it in the direction it would normally cut and avoid contact with the sharp bits. Your description sounds very much like you have bent the crank. If you turn the blade all the way round slowly by hand does it get stiff at any point. If it is a bent crank it is not a bad job to do but depending on the age and condition of the mower it might not be financially be worth doing.

eadamov

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks,
I'll try to spin the blade and inspect it again. But if the crank was bent wouldn't it throw the engine out of balance and the machine would vibrate like crazy? The reason I'm asking that is because the machine running smoothly.