Crankcase Seal

jeeper87

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, I just got a hold of a lawnmower and I am rebuilding it. Its only two years old, I have it torn down the only thing wrong with it was a broken flywheel key and a dirty carb. Anyways I did not remove the seal on the crankcase cover, my question is....since I have "not" touched it and its in good shape can I just leave it?? I know your supposed to replace the seals in a rebuild but this machine was barely used and the seals are in good shape and since I haven't touched them can I just leave them???

Thanks
Jeeper 87

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is only one way to find out, and that's to try it, just make sure you lubricant the seal.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
You should get away with it as long as you clean up the crankshaft with emery paper and get rid of sharp rough edges.

Try not to flip the inner lip of the seal when fitting otherwise you will be replacing it.

jeeper87

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great, thanks. I going to put a few drops of engine oil to help the crankshaft slide in better as well as take it slow.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't always replace them if they look good. Just a little light grease on the lip of the seal. Never has a problin yet.