Craftsman Tractor won't run

Mi hunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have not replace the needle valve and my "thorough" clean only included carb cleaner and and a air gun. I will go home tonight and check the float again and clean the carb overnight. I did replace and by-pass the fuel filter but I will buy another today while I am at the store. More to come....

Thanks again for the replies!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you reuse the gasket or replace with a new one. Is it torn? You could be getting to much air if a gasket is bad. I would get a carb kit and replace every thing. Make sure your float is good No pin holes or cracks

Mi hunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I re-used all gaskets i did not see anywhere it was torn but will do a thorough check tonight along with a good visual of the float, where is the best place to buy a carb kit for a Craftsman? I have tried Sears and that didn't work out so well....

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most mower shops will have one. I get mine from napa. Napa won't cost as much as a mower shop I just got a starter was $30 less at napa then at any shop I called

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The "bypass" the filter was suggested , only as a temporary test, to evaluate the fuel flow with zero restriction...
I agree with reynoldston, a careful cleaning with particular attention to the float Needle Valve is indicated...
If the float itself had a ole or crack, it would sink and Not shut off the fuel, so this will not be your problem... as you are Not delivering adequate fuel without using total engine vacuum to pull fuel into the intake...

The gasket between the engine and carb must be in good shape & have no leaks for proper function of the carb...
Keep looking, the hardest to find contributors to a problem usually turn out to be a very simple & easy to overlook fault... :smile:KennyV

Mi hunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Success!!!!!!! Not sure what it was but I took the carb apart again cleaned the entire thing and verified the float was good and not cracked. I started it up and it ran perfect!!! I cut part of the lawn and will finish it over the next 3-4 days as we are expecting rain here the next few days. I will give an update when it runs for an hour or so....:biggrin:

Thanks Kenny for reminding me to keep it simple.... And thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Mi hunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tractor runs like new.... Thanks again everyone!!!