Craftsman T2400 Kohler won't start

mikendebbie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman T2400 Kohler engine (24 hrs on the guage) purchased from Lowes May 2022. It has been doing great. Wife can never remember to choke before cranking OR to take it off choke once it is cranked. Yesterday she jumped on the tractor, cranked it up and took off with the choke engaged. I started running toward her to take the choke off - but before I got there it died. She drove it about 20'. Now it will not fire and run. I put the battery charger on it so the battery is good. It had fresh gas in it. Starter turns it over but no fire. Any ideas what I should do to get it going?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We need the actual engine model number and Specification number(spec number for short) and engine serial number from the tag on the engine. T2400 doesn't tell us if it is a CV or SV or KT.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well for what seems like the millionth time we the need real model number from the serial number tag and in this case the engine model and spec numbers. Personally I am getting tired of having try explain to folks that every mower and engine is usually different and have their own set of problems. Posters seems to think every mower and engine are the same. THey are not as complex as automobiles but are still an assembly of different manufactures parts.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well for what seems like the millionth time we the need real model number from the serial number tag and in this case the engine model and spec numbers. Personally I am getting tired of having try explain to folks that every mower and engine is usually different and have their own set of problems. Posters seems to think every mower and engine are the same. THey are not as complex as automobiles but are still an assembly of different manufactures parts.
I don't think people realize that mowers have at least 3 different manufacturers with their own problems, services, and warranty. Also that the number on the hood is just a series number and can have several different models within that series. And that doesn't take into account the 3rd party companies manufacturing under license to brand products Like Murray, Snapper, Husqvarna, Craftsman, Briggs and Stratton and the 3rd party manufacturer handles all parts, service, warranty, etc.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would recommend putting a small amount of gas into the intake and see if it fires and runs on it, but there is also a chance that it flooded out, and adding gas could make it worse or give a false symptom leading down a non needed rabbit hole. Try cranking it first without the choke on and see what happens, then try adding the gas to the intake and see what happens. The choke on flooding could of also wet fouled the spark plug, So wouldn't hurt trying with new plugs and see what happens, and they would be considered a maintenance item so no effect on warranty consideration.

I wouldn't get too far into diagnosing due to have 1 more year on the engine warranty.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Craftsman T2400 Kohler engine (24 hrs on the guage) purchased from Lowes May 2022. It has been doing great. Wife can never remember to choke before cranking OR to take it off choke once it is cranked. Yesterday she jumped on the tractor, cranked it up and took off with the choke engaged. I started running toward her to take the choke off - but before I got there it died. She drove it about 20'. Now it will not fire and run. I put the battery charger on it so the battery is good. It had fresh gas in it. Starter turns it over but no fire. Any ideas what I should do to get it going?
If an engine refuses to start (regardless of brand, etc.), one of the first things you can check is the spark plug. Is it wet, dry, condition, gap. Then put a little gas into the spark plug hole and put plug back in and see if it fires.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hey SUPER Star Tech, you were never a newbie on any forum? Give the guy some help, not condescending crap.
I did give him the info that he needs to post we needed for looking up the equipment. And for the late post as I just got back out of horsepital.

Sorry about that...Spec PS-KT730-3046 Serial 5202706963 build date 1/27/2022
Sorry about that snap but it does irritate me that it keeps constantly happening that the need is not posted before we can look things up.

First check for spark at the plug with it grounded to the engine as she may may just fouled it out. And just note that even if fires outside the engine's compression zone it still can be bad enough to not fire under the compression load. The best option is to try a known good plug.