Craftsman T2400 Kohler won't start

spankyscamp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take fuel line off at filter and blow a little bit of air into line back to tank. With the gas we have know it eats away at the inside of the hose. Put the fuel line back together and try to start. Look for black spot in your filter if it starts. If it does start, it should run OK.

mikendebbie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well - sometimes the simplest things...the choke cable had slipped and the choke would not close. I adjusted the cable to close the choke plate and it runs great now. I appreciate the help from this forum!
But before I figured that out -
- I changed the plugs
- I changed the air and gas filters
- I put a new carb on it (kept the old one because it is probably ok)
- drained the fuel tank and put fresh ethanol free gas in it
- verified the fuel pump was spitting fuel
- cleaned the battery poles and tightened the cables for good contact
- All good basic maintenance thanks to the forum help!!!

TobyU

Threads
Well - sometimes the simplest things...the choke cable had slipped and the choke would not close. I adjusted the cable to close the choke plate and it runs great now. I appreciate the help from this forum!
But before I figured that out -
- I changed the plugs
- I changed the air and gas filters
- I put a new carb on it (kept the old one because it is probably ok)
- drained the fuel tank and put fresh ethanol free gas in it
- verified the fuel pump was spitting fuel
- cleaned the battery poles and tightened the cables for good contact
- All good basic maintenance thanks to the forum help!!!
This is exactly why people really need to focus on the diagnostic skills when there is a problem with a piece of equipment.
All too often people end up trying this or trying that which is basically throwing parts at a piece of equipment and typically on the 3rd or 4th time they luck out and get it fixed and this actually reinforces the bad way of doing things and the next time they have a problem they will typically repeat the process.

It bothers me greatly to see money wasted on equipment that doesn't need to be and time spent when it shouldn't be.

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, since so many problems with mowers and outdoor power equipment end up being lack of fuel or lack of enough fuel getting into the engine the best diagnostic procedure based on statistics and odds is to always go with fuel first.

I mentioned that over the many thousands of mowers that I have repaired, that things like spark plugs are only the problem about one and every 450 to one in every 500.
Yet, it is the go-to for a lot of people when their mother won't start.

Going to fuel and giving an external fuel source first is the fastest way to get to the cause of the problems quickly.
Now you do have to know how to interpret the results and this is where experience and practice kicks in.

On your situation, had you have gone to giving it an external fuel source first,
You would have removed the air filter and sprayed a little bit of carb cleaner or a tablespoon of fuel into the intake and then cranked it over.
It would have done one of two things.
It would have either started and continued to run just fine or it would have started and then died after a few seconds.
Then, the proper diagnostic procedure is to repeat this at least three times.
Because it may take to the second or third time before it continues to run.

If and when it continues to run, this means the carburetor is clear and working properly and that would have saved you the carburetor replacement or save someone the trouble of cleaning out the carburetor or messing with it and taking it apart at all which can cause more problems.

You would know this because the engine runs fine once it gets going and the fact that it wouldn't start on its own would immediately tell you that it's not getting enrichment for starting so you would know to check the choke.

There were a lot of the single Kohler courage engines especially on husqvarna's ship from the factory with the choke poorly adjusted even though there's an adjustment screw there.
These machines would not start after sitting for a while like a couple of days or especially a week even with the choke on because it was not closing over barely halfway.
Once you got them running which a lot of people figured out by using gas or starting fluid, they ran just fine.
It was a simple fix by turning the screw about one and a half turns and then it started perfectly even when cold.

So by the results telling you that it wasn't getting enough fuel when it was cold when it was cranking you would check the choke and an investigating you would have likely found the loose cable.
Sometimes you end up taking the plastic air filter housing off so you can actually see the butterfly of the choke operating.

Now if the machine would have only run for a few seconds each time you put a fuel source into it and it would not continue to run on its own you would know that it's not a choke failing to close issue but rather a restriction inside the carburetor most likely.

It really is a systematic approach that I do to every mower that comes in that won't start.
It's a lot harder to type it out and explain it than it is to show someone how to do it in person.

It can be explained in writing and also a flow chart would work well too but you just have to back all the way back to square one, start from the beginning, and rule out the simplest things first or at least the easiest things to rule out.

It's always best to start with fuel even though some people insist on going the ignition route with plug or checking for spark etc.
They simply waste time by doing this.

I've done this so many times I have it down to an exact science that's a scientific process basically.
If a mower comes to me that will not start and run and if it cranks or pulls the rope normally and seems to be normal but just won't run....then the absolute fastest way to figure it out is to give it fuel in the intake or carb cleaner spray.

If it runs for a few seconds after that then I know the engine is mechanically sound..
I can forget about spark plug, coil, spark, slipped valve guides, popped valve seats, bent push rods, severely blown head gaskets, sheared flywheel keys, camshaft lobes slipping on the knurled camshaft, plastic camshaft teeth twisted off, broken connecting rod.
That covers a lot right there and I can rule out every bit of that if the engine starts and runs for a couple of seconds on carb cleaner spray.

If it doesn't run when you give it an external fuel source it's when the challenge actually begins.
Fortunately, over 85% of the time maybe closer to 90, they do start and run when you give them an external fuel source.

mikendebbie

Forum Newbie
Threads
On your situation, had you have gone to giving it an external fuel source first,
You would have removed the air filter and sprayed a little bit of carb cleaner or a tablespoon of fuel into the intake and then cranked it over.
It would have either started and continued to run just fine or it would have started and then died after a few seconds.
Then, the proper diagnostic procedure is to repeat this at least three times

Well - I did this several times...maybe not 3 times in a row (possibly that was my shortfall)...but I got the same result each time...it fired up strong for 2-3 seconds then died. This happened whether I choked it or not. I watched a video on Kevin Caudill's youtube channel about choke adjustment - went out and watched it NOT CLOSE and made the adjustment, It fired and ran a bit rough at first but then started running great. You are correct that maybe I spent money on stuff I did not need - but frankly - this was a hell of learning experience for me - so I have no regrets...it was a $100 classroom experience. The suggestions and information from forum members plus many, many Youtube videos helped me immensely. No regrets! and no apologies needed. Heartfelt thanks to all for the help and explanations !

TobyU

Threads
Then, the proper diagnostic procedure is to repeat this at least three times

Well - I did this several times...maybe not 3 times in a row (possibly that was my shortfall)...but I got the same result each time...it fired up strong for 2-3 seconds then died. This happened whether I choked it or not. I watched a video on Kevin Caudill's youtube channel about choke adjustment - went out and watched it NOT CLOSE and made the adjustment, It fired and ran a bit rough at first but then started running great. You are correct that maybe I spent money on stuff I did not need - but frankly - this was a hell of learning experience for me - so I have no regrets...it was a $100 classroom experience. The suggestions and information from forum members plus many, many Youtube videos helped me immensely. No regrets! and no apologies needed. Heartfelt thanks to all for the help and explanations !
Yes! The experience is worth a whole lot..
Just make sure you remember all that for next time you have a problem with something because many people don't and they just start replacing things. Lol
I personally despise YouTube videos because about 90% of them do things either the hard way or the wrong way.
The internet used to be a much better place for information like repairing stuff.
There were individual write-ups or even tutorials that were very similar to a shop manual but a lot of people did themselves. They would have detailed descriptions and then pictures etc.
I find this to be far better than a video because videos are annoying, choppy, often off topic, S---L---O---W as can be etc.

I guess they are better than nothing but I'd rather do without with most of them.
I guess on this way because I grow up reading car repair manuals and shop and service manuals and the internet was laid out very much like that very similar to magazines which are another publication I always liked.
I never liked books unless they were an actual textbook which again is laid out very similarly with diagrams, pictures, captions etc in an effort to clearly and concisely convey the information and get the job done.
The videos just have too much. They bore me to death and I'm sitting there yelling at the people because they're doing something either the wrong way or the hard way or they just don't get it or the fact that I know the way I've done it many times is much better.
If I have a tutorial style layout like a web page, there's really none of this as I just go to the section I need to get the specification, torque setting a certain thing to check and how to check it and then I'm done.

It is kind of odd that your machine didn't continue to run as they usually do after the 3rd or 4th time giving them some gas.
Another good way to test is to hold your hand or a folded shop towel over the intake hole under the air filter to see if you can keep it running that way.

Bye putting your hand on and off covering the hole, you can keep them running and then if it was just to choke issue like yours, within 10 or 12 seconds it will continue to run with your hand off.
THIS would tell you that there is no internal carb blockage and that it just needed choke at first to stay running.

If it died every time you stopped choking it out with your hand or the shop towel, you would know that the car was partially restricted and you have to dig into that or replace it.

If you're quickly and efficiently trying to diagnose a machine (which is what I am always doing) you have to decide what the possible culprits are and the best methods to test and or rule out these things one at a time.
A BIG part of it is knowing how to understand and interpret the results from each test.
This is where a lot of repetition and practice and experience helps.

Air4Dave

Threads
Well for what seems like the millionth time we the need real model number from the serial number tag and in this case the engine model and spec numbers. Personally I am getting tired of having try explain to folks that every mower and engine is usually different and have their own set of problems. Posters seems to think every mower and engine are the same. THey are not as complex as automobiles but are still an assembly of different manufactures parts.
If you're "getting tired of having to explain..." then why are you on here? You don't have to be rude! Many get on this forum for the first time and don't know EXACTLY what information is needed to help those of us who MAY be able to lend a hand! As another commenter stated below, and I agree...some kind of "form card" should be made available for first time poster here that have them put all the numbers for a person's mower on it.