Craftsman t240 mower idler pulley bolt failure

tylertown

Threads
The bolt holding the idler pulley on broke at the mounting bracket. I have 2 questions for the group.
The mower was purchased this spring from Lowe’s.
The bearing in the pulley doesn’t turn as freely as I would expect but it’s a long way from being frozen and the spacer in the bottom doesn’t appear to have spun in the bearing.
The break appears to be a shear failure father than a torsion failure.
Has anyone else experienced this issue and what does the group think might have happened.
I plan to replace the bolt and put it all back together, hoping this is a fluke.
If it turns out that the pulley bearing is bad and the bolt breaks again it brings up my second question. Having never been faced with a warranty claim on a mower before, how would I go about obtaining a new pulley under warranty. Replacement should be simple and I have no way to carry the deck or mower to a dealer for repairs.
Thank you for any advice you may have.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a mower which has a broken bolt and bad bearing after only 6 months use? If it were me I’d be talking to Lowe’s about warranty service. There is something else wrong for a bolt and bearing to fail in that length of time. You’re probably not going to get free parts to install yourself, warranties’ don’t work that way.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having never been faced with a warranty claim on a mower before, how would I go about obtaining a new pulley under warranty. Replacement should be simple and I have no way to carry the deck or mower to a dealer for repairs.
Rent a U Haul truck and trailer. Or buy a shiny new F350 dually at $90,000 each.

Most people want these huge mowers and have no way to get them repaired. It's not if they will break down but when.

slomo

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the pulley needs to be replaced.
It won't get better in use and then you run the risk of it taking the belt with it .