Craftsman T1000 42" with Kohler motor, smoke on starting

crazy charlie

Threads
  • / Craftsman T1000 42" with Kohler motor, smoke on starting
Have had this for 5 years with no big issues.After spending last winter in heated garage there was smoking upon the first start which
has never happened before.Smoked for maybe 30-45 seconds after starting.Assumed it was from fogging motor but it has done this upon every start
since. It does not small like exhaust and oil is extremely clean and up to level.I DID notice that the smoking is not immediate as an exhaust smoke issue would be. It is delayed by 10-20 seconds of running so I am assuming it is something that is ON the exhaust and smokes as the exhaust heats up.It has to be near the muffler as it looks as if coming out of exhaust with some force.runs same as always so Im a little baffled????? anyone have this??? Charlie

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lets start with the model and spec number of your kohler engines. Different engines have different issues and we are just guessing without further information.

crazy charlie

Threads
I will have to take a closer look for any numbers.You are referring to engine numbers and not mower correct?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will have to take a closer look for any numbers.You are referring to engine numbers and not mower correct?
Correct. Also would be nice to post the actual mower model number from the tag under the seat.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Correct. Also would be nice to post the actual mower model number from the tag under the seat.
If it is a Kohler Courage single cylinder, most likely leaking valve cover. Drips oil down onto muffler and smokes when heated up by engine. One of several common issues with this dog Kohler Courage.

crazy charlie

Threads
If it is a Kohler Courage single cylinder, most likely leaking valve cover. Drips oil down onto muffler and smokes when heated up by engine. One of several common issues with this dog Kohler Courage.
Thats kinda what I was thinking since it does not smoke immediately upon start but shortly after .Im still working on taking a pic of the id tags .This mower is far from new .It was far from new when I bought it arrow 4 years ago.A leaking valve cover gasket wouldn't be a big surprise given its age.I wouldn't consider that a common issue since it has taken so long to occur.Lemme get the tags posted.Thanks Charlie

crazy charlie

Threads
I have been calling my mower a T1000 but it is an LT1000. Is valve cover gasket difficult to do?? or should I leave it to my every other season servicing? Charlie

Attachments

• kohler1.jpg
    kohler1.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 3
  • kohler2.jpg
    kohler2.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 3
  • kohler3.jpg
    kohler3.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 2
  • riding mower1.jpg
    riding mower1.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 2
  • riding mower2.jpg
    riding mower2.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 2

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like that engine uses RTV sealant for the valve cover.

crazy charlie

Threads
Looks like that engine uses RTV sealant for the valve cover.
Thanks,is this the engine that you referred to as a dog?? Thought I had the better engine?? Charlie