Craftsman Snow Blower Issue

tspencer1

Threads
Hello all:

I have a Craftsman snow blower - approx. 8-10 years old. 5 HP. Late last season, the engine became hard to start, would run for approx 2 minutes, then quit.

Last summer I inspected the carb and cleaned (was clean anyway) and put in a new spark plug. This seemed to improve the performance. The engine would run fine until I turned it off. The engine was difficult to start, I had to use the elec. starter, the hand pull would not start it; but it ran. I completely drained the gas tank and carb.

Today, the engine started, but with difficulty (hand pull would not work). It would run, but only if wide-open. If I tried to reduce power - even a bit, it coughs, sputters and dies. It will work if wide-open but is not nearly as powerful as it was. 3" of snow strained it, whereas it used to handle 6-8" of wet snow with no problem.

Any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Common problem that comes into the shop at least twice a week, did two today. Time to clean and rebuild the carb. I'm guessing you have a Tecumseh engine, probably an H50 or HM50. Post the engine numbers and i will get you the numbers for the rebuild kit. Here is the procedure I use to solve the problem. If you have an adjustable carb, you may have to tweak the procedure, but I won't know until I see your numbers.

Needle and seat replacement

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. *Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. *If it does, replace. *If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: *On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. *Under this cover will be an idle jet. *Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. *You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

tspencer1

Threads
Wow - thank you for the quick and very detailed response!

From the engine decal the engine is a Sears, Roebuck 143.035001.
Engine family 2TPXS.1951BF.

According to the owners' manual, the engine is a Craftsman 143.015007.

Does/did Sears even make engines? I did not think so. I just Googled "Craftsman 143.015007" and looks like may be a Tucumseh?

The snow blower model is a Craftsman 247.886640.

Hope these numbers help.

One other tidbit, I had this running in the garage today around 1:00 and as of 8:30 tonight, the garage still smells of gas fumes (not exhaust). Checked and see no leaks. Smells like 2 minutes after you flood an engine. But am worried that the smell is still there.

Thanks-

Tim

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, it is a Tecumseh engine, model number HSSK50-67405S. It uses a nonadjustable carb #640084B. The repair kit you will need is #631021B. There is one little catch which you must be aware of if you decide to rebuild the carb yourself. Before you pull the float pin to remove the float, carefully look at how the small spring is attached. This spring is between the float legs. The pin goes through the spring and you must look closely at each end. One end presses against the carb and the other end is hooked over the edge of the carb body. Do not pull the float pin until you have drawn a sketch of this spring or taken a close-up picture. If you do not do this and then you can't remember how to reassemble, it will be very difficult to explain how to reinstall.

tspencer1

Threads
Many thanks again - greatly appreciate the info!!

Tim

tspencer1

Threads
Follow-up:

Installed a new carb and no change. The engine sputters, starts briefly, then dies. A photo of the carb in question is attached. What is the adjustment screw at the top of the choke? Seems to be just a tension adjustment for the choke.

There is also a movie of what it is doing. Any ideas?

Thanks-

photo (1).JPG

Last edited: