Craftsman riding mower, after starting... wont turn off

No_Smoking

Threads
  • / Craftsman riding mower, after starting... wont turn off
I have very limited knowledge about these mowers, been relying on you guys for helpful tips!

I just replaced the solenoid so maybe it has something to do with that?

The old solenoid was a 3 pole, the replacement one is 4 pole. I placed the wires just like it was on the old one (the white wire on the small right side pole), leaving the extra smaller Left side pole empty. The mower wouldn't start. so after a little research it seemed I needed to ground that extra pole. So I grounded the left pole with a wire that was provided on the right side solenoid mounting screw since there was no other bolts nearby.

Looking at the image I provided (is the old solenoid), I had to ground the two black wires on the same mounting screw as the small left side pole.. is this my problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 8

No_Smoking

Threads
here is the new solenoid and how I wired it.

Attachments

• 2013-03-01_14-44-31_358.jpg
    2013-03-01_14-44-31_358.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2013-03-01_14-44-43_247.jpg
    2013-03-01_14-44-43_247.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 9
Threads
here is the new solenoid and how I wired it.

I cant see the wiring that well but when you bolt down the solenoid the frame is what grounds it.

Threads
I cant see the wiring that well but when you bolt down the solenoid the frame is what grounds it the black wire/ wires are what operate the safety switches.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, wjjones, but that's not right. On a three pole solenoid you have four wires. One heavy gage wire coming from the battery attached to one large terminal on the solenoid. Second heavy gage wire going from the other large terminal on the solenoid to the starter. One lighter gage wire going from the large battery solenoid terminal to the B terminal on the key switch. Second lighter gage wire going from the small terminal on the solenoid to the S terminal on the key switch. A three pole solenoid is grounded internally and just needs to be bolted to a good clean part of the units frame. If you replace a three pole solenoid with a four pole one, you will hook it up the same. The only difference is that a four pole solenoid must be grounded externally, and that means you must install a ground wire from the second small terminal to a good clean ground on the frame. This means that you will end up with five wires attached to the solenoid.

Threads
Sorry, wjjones, but that's not right. On a three pole solenoid you have four wires. One heavy gage wire coming from the battery attached to one large terminal on the solenoid. Second heavy gage wire going from the other large terminal on the solenoid to the starter. One lighter gage wire going from the large battery solenoid terminal to the B terminal on the key switch. Second lighter gage wire going from the small terminal on the solenoid to the S terminal on the key switch. A three pole solenoid is grounded internally and just needs to be bolted to a good clean part of the units frame. If you replace a three pole solenoid with a four pole one, you will hook it up the same. The only difference is that a four pole solenoid must be grounded externally, and that means you must install a ground wire from the second small terminal to a good clean ground on the frame. This means that you will end up with five wires attached to the solenoid.

Gotcha.:thumbsup: It must be something with the kill wire/ wires to the coils? He says it wont shut off after starting.

No_Smoking

Threads
Based on what you guys see, it appears to be installed correctly?

Would anything I've done prevent me from tuning the engine off? Specifically the 3 total wires on the mounting screw.

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 6

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never read anything about shutting off, just know that the way he wired it, he would never get it started.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is wired the way I posted, there should be only one wire on the mounting screw.

metz12

Threads
If it is wired the way I posted, there should be only one wire on the mounting screw.

you dont think that he kill wire was not connected rivets? i kind of sounds like it.