Craftsman riding lawn mower acts like it has a low battery but it doesn't and won't start or even try to start

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
  • / Craftsman riding lawn mower acts like it has a low battery but it doesn't and won't start or even try to start
Sounds like the classic valves out adjustment or a fail ACR (Automatic Compression Release) on the camshaft. Need the engine info but if it 310000 or 330000 series Briggs either of these is likely.
a) battery can be damaged overenight. check voltage at starter when cranking, if under 9volts, chase issue. b) hydrolocked c) can not start till motor whirls about 300 rpm, anything less generates no spark by magnet induction on spark moduals.

mitchstein443

Threads
  • / Craftsman riding lawn mower acts like it has a low battery but it doesn't and won't start or even try to start
batteries are not rocket science any more. they are pretty much the same no matter who makes them.. and no lead acid battery deep cycle or standard car is designed to be 100% drained ever. IF it is drained 100% and somehow you manage to get it to take a charge at best it will be working at 70-80% and will fail first time the temperature fails under 32f or 0c..

Lawn mower batteries especially do not improve at all with price, a long tie ago I stopped buying the expensive crappy ones from the dealerships and the auto parts store and just got the same crappy ones with a different lable from walmart, I'm pretty sure they are like 30 to 35$ tops there.. at least last summer they were.. who knows nowadays with 2x4 up over 500% in price and plywood up 600%+ maybe batteries are next.. lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
batteries are not rocket science any more. they are pretty much the same no matter who makes them.. and no lead acid battery deep cycle or standard car is designed to be 100% drained ever. IF it is drained 100% and somehow you manage to get it to take a charge at best it will be working at 70-80% and will fail first time the temperature fails under 32f or 0c..

Lawn mower batteries especially do not improve at all with price, a long tie ago I stopped buying the expensive crappy ones from the dealerships and the auto parts store and just got the same crappy ones with a different lable from walmart, I'm pretty sure they are like 30 to 35$ tops there.. at least last summer they were.. who knows nowadays with 2x4 up over 500% in price and plywood up 600%+ maybe batteries are next.. lol
Goes like this Mitch
Every battery that comes off the end of the line is subjected to better than a dozen tests
The BEST ones get diverted to be branded with the premium brand label.
From then on they get different labels for progressively cheaper brands as the quality declines.
Now the crunch comes with demand.
Because people are cheap & nasty, the demand for the premium brand is the lowest and the demand for the cheapest brand is the highest.
So when Walmart puts in an order for 1,000,000 grade -10 batteries the factory often will not have enough junk batteries to fill the order,
Thus they might get 400,000 -10 grade , 200,000 -9 grade , 100,000 -8 grade , 100,000 -7 grade etc etc till the order is filled using all of the lowest grade batteries available at the time .
I did QC for Simmsmetal down here who ran 6 battery factories so know exactly how it works
In a run of 10,000 batteries designed to be all +1 grade the bulk would come in at +1 to -5 , so the battery brands that get -10 batteries rarely got a full order of -10 grade batteries because we never had enough of them.
Thus you could luck in a -5 quality battery at a - 10 grade price but a +1 grade battery was always a + 1

cupboy

Threads
update 2: Went to Ace and bought a new battery. Installed it and it started right up. That Diehard battery died pretty easily after all. Now if I can find the receipt I'll check into the one year warranty. I know I have had it less than a year (well I hope so... just my luck I missed it by a week... I will start looking for the receipt).

update 3: Found the receipt. Unfortunately I bought it in July of 2018. Seemed like just last year.
update 4: now the stupid thing is back to not starting again. It's not a battery problem this time. Seems to act like it's not getting any fuel. I did replace the spark plugs today. I had put fresh fuel in it the day before. Didn't make any difference. What else could it be?

mitchstein443

Threads
Goes like this Mitch
Every battery that comes off the end of the line is subjected to better than a dozen tests
The BEST ones get diverted to be branded with the premium brand label.
From then on they get different labels for progressively cheaper brands as the quality declines.
Now the crunch comes with demand.
Because people are cheap & nasty, the demand for the premium brand is the lowest and the demand for the cheapest brand is the highest.
So when Walmart puts in an order for 1,000,000 grade -10 batteries the factory often will not have enough junk batteries to fill the order,
Thus they might get 400,000 -10 grade , 200,000 -9 grade , 100,000 -8 grade , 100,000 -7 grade etc etc till the order is filled using all of the lowest grade batteries available at the time .
I did QC for Simmsmetal down here who ran 6 battery factories so know exactly how it works
In a run of 10,000 batteries designed to be all +1 grade the bulk would come in at +1 to -5 , so the battery brands that get -10 batteries rarely got a full order of -10 grade batteries because we never had enough of them.
Thus you could luck in a -5 quality battery at a - 10 grade price but a +1 grade battery was always a + 1
as far as battery quality goes.. the shittest batteries on the market around here are good enough to last 3-5 years.. As an atomotive mechanic we have always told our customers (for 30+ years now) that if your battery is 5 years old and still work, good for you..
At the local lawn mower repair shop they tell thier customers 3 years..

Now I only use the cheapest batteries in my lawn mowers/snow blowers etc etc. and have had the same experience with every one of them. On the lawn mower I use daily to go around my property, it is started probably 25 to 30 times a day and the battery last about 5-6 years.. (it's a 2000 dy4000 craftsman, 22hp single banger). The starter needs to be replaced twice to each battery.

On my 1989 Yard machine briggs 18hp single banger, which is only used maybe 8 or 9 times a year mostly in the fall because I use it with a homemade leaf collector trailer for the fall leaes, so one in the spring then rest in the fall, the battery last 3 years, it has a .5 amp trickle charger and th battery is left hooked up all year round.

On my 1972 craftsman with a briggs opposed twin, the battery lasts forever.. (over 10 years old now), but it is on a quick disconnect, gets a full 1 amp charge the day before the tractor show here in town every year and is used maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

and on my john deere 400 it has a 10 year old car battery type 26 that fit my camaro starts every time, trickle charged at .5 amp used for snow plowing and spreading gravel, nice hydrolic machine that I rebuilt in 2009 from a barn find.

My 1979 camaro has a 10 year battery, it is started about 4x's a year and sits on a trickle charger..

Then there is my generator, with a 10+ year old 100ah deep cycle used for priming and starting it, it auto starts the gen ever 3 days and runs for 45 minutes automatically..

My 25 10ah deep cycle batteries o my 5KW solar array are discharged to about 50% and recharged to 100% at least once daily all year round, they also are walmarts cheapest 100ah deepcycle batteries they last at least 3 and 6 years tops.

Now, here's the difference between each of these batteries..

the lawn mower batteries have very thin, wide mesh matted lead platting, the car batteries have thicker lead plating on thinner mesh matting, the electrolite is identical in both.

The deep cycle batteries have much much thicker plates of lead on much thinner several layered fiber mesh, the electrolite is about 4x's more acidic then the car and mower batteries. They also put out much more toxic gas when overcharged then the mower and car batteries.

as far as how they are manufactured and graded, I never heard of simmsmetal, but at exide thats not how it is done. My cousin is a QC linesman supervisor for them, he said they get a pass or fail grade. If they pass they go on to different channels for labling for different companies, Walmart, pep boys, autozone, lowes, homedepot etc etc etc are all made on the same line and pass the same quality test.. then there are the "optima" style batteries which are made on a different line.. If they fail they get returned for recycling..

WHen I asked him about the grade of batteries 1-10 he smirked and said, who fed you that pile of malarky, batteries either pass or fail they are not graded..

mitchstein443

Threads
As far as the answer to the guys problem..

Again none of this is rocket science..

If it will not crank, then either the battery is dead, the solenoid is bad, a wire is bad (corroded or loose or broken), the key switch is bad, the starter is bad.

The best way to test all these things is with a voltage meter.

Test voltage at the battery terminals, it should be 11.9-12.8v, if it's lower then 11.9 probably won't crank, charge or replace the battery. If it's over 12.8v then you do not have a 12v battery in the tractor, replace it..

If it's between 11.9 and 12.8v try to crank the engine, if the voltage drops below 8.5 the battery is weak, charge try again test again if it still fails replace.

If the voltage does not change at all, locate the solenoid, test the voltage at the battery side of the solenoid with the key in the run position, it should be the sae or within .1 volt as it is at the battery, if it is 0 volts - - - move your ground test lead to the negative terminal and test agin, if still at 0 volts replace/clean and/or tighten the positive battery wire. If once changing the ground back to the negative battery post it now show voltage the solenoid clean/replace and/or tighten the negative cable.

Test again..

Once you have 12 volts at the input side of the solenoid, turn the key to the start position and test at the other post of the solenoid, if you do not have 12 volts there, I usually just replace the solenoid since a universal 1 is oly like 10-20 dollars, and retest if it still doesn't get 12 volts look for a problem with the wiring to and from the keyswitch and the keyswitch itself.

Assuing you now have 12 volts on both sides of the solenoid.

turn the key to the start position and test for 12 volts at the starter if 12 volts are there, replace the starter.

If there isn't 12 volts there, clean/replace/tighten the solenoid to starter wire.

If the engine tries to crank, but goes very slowly, make sure the voltage never drops below 7 volts if it does, the battery is weak or one of the wires/connection is bad.. Just clean all of them, you should do that anyway.. test again.. still under 7 volts replace the battery.

Some engines can become vapor locked..

Pull the plugs, reinstall them, try to start if it cranks noral may even start, run until warm and shut off let it cool down, then try to restart, if it des not crank, could be vapor locked, could be a sticking valve, or a number of other engine issues.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
update 4: now the stupid thing is back to not starting again. It's not a battery problem this time. Seems to act like it's not getting any fuel. I did replace the spark plugs today. I had put fresh fuel in it the day before. Didn't make any difference. What else could it be?
Does the engine crank properly as in turning over now?

Was the new battery load tested? I hear it's new but new doesn't mean good all the time.

Did you verify good fuel flow AT the carb? Pull the fuel line and drain into a glass jar. Should have good fuel flow there.

Is there a fuel pump on this engine?

cupboy

Threads
Finally got it started with the help of some Valvoline starting fluid from an auto parts store. I had to keep pumping the choke knob to keep it from stalling while it was outputting purple smoke. It cleared up after a minute or two. Now it's running fine. I'm going to keep it running for 10 minutes or so to get the battery charged back up. The previous attempted starts had to drain it down a bit.

I also plan to change the oil but need to go get a filter. Sears part #24606. Well, that may be a useless number now. Another part number is 52-050-02S.

Well instead I placed an online order since I'm in no hurry. Pack of two yellow (pretty) Kohler oil filters and a Kohler fuel filter 24 050 13 .

Last edited:

vms_man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Turns out the fuel line was clogged. Flushed it out and it started up no problem. Sorry for the long delay in posting the solution.