Craftsman riding lawn mower acts like it has a low battery but it doesn't and won't start or even try to start

cupboy

Threads
  • / Craftsman riding lawn mower acts like it has a low battery but it doesn't and won't start or even try to start
So, besides the battery what could the problem be? It did run out of gas and I left it out overnight with the key on the "on" position. So that's why the battery went dead. The display works though so there is some power in the Diehard battery. I have also tried starting it with one of those starter packs like you use to start a car that has a dead battery. I guess I could check the plugs but don't know why they'd both go bad all at once. What would be in between the battery and the spark plugs?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Craftsman riding lawn mower acts like it has a low battery but it doesn't and won't start or even try to start
About 10 times a year I get called out to a no start after the mower had run out of fuel
Most of them had forgotten to turn the blades off

cupboy

Threads
The lawn mowing attachment is not even on the mower right now. I have a grading attachment on it The motor does turn a little bit when I try to start it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So is the starter turning the engine or not?

cupboy

Threads
So is the starter turning the engine or not?
Yes, a little bit but very little. Not much more than a single rotation at a time. And this is with the battery pack on it. Otherwise it does not turn at all and just makes clicking noises.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like the classic valves out adjustment or a fail ACR (Automatic Compression Release) on the camshaft. Need the engine info but if it 310000 or 330000 series Briggs either of these is likely.

Cusser

Threads
Sounds like the classic valves out adjustment or a fail ACR (Automatic Compression Release) on the camshaft. Need the engine info but if it 310000 or 330000 series Briggs either of these is likely.
I had similar hard-to-crank issues after a few years with my LT1000 917.275371 purchased in 2005. I would keep the battery on a tender, adjusted the valves a few times, had battery checked for performance under load a few times.

Anyway, while mowing one day the engine lost oil and seized, and I bought a new engine online and installed it, and have not had any cranking issues since. So I think there was an internal issue on that original engine.

tagpop

Threads
To insure engine to turning freely. Remove the spark plugs, this should allow the engine to turn freely with the battery pack. Turn the key and let the engine turn over several times, listen any odd nosies, watch the spark plug holes any excessive gas squirting out. Does it have to much oil? Check the spark plug wire with a timing light or other device to insure the engine is firing. Need this engine to turn freely and check for spark.

tagpop

Threads
No fire at spark plug means one of those pesky safety switchs is faulty sear, in gear, clutch not depressed.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I had similar hard-to-crank issues after a few years with my LT1000 917.275371 purchased in 2005. I would keep the battery on a tender, adjusted the valves a few times, had battery checked for performance under load a few times.

Anyway, while mowing one day the engine lost oil and seized, and I bought a new engine online and installed it, and have not had any cranking issues since. So I think there was an internal issue on that original engine.
Well this is why the oil should check at least at every refuel. The Briggs 210000, 280000, 310000, and 330000 al use the same style head gasket that is prone to blowing between cylinder and push galley cause excessive oil usage without even smoking. The 310000 and 330000 are the worst at doing this which why I leak down tests on nearly every one when they come into the shop.