Craftsman Rider Battery ( RANT )

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, but when I looked up a 2002 LTZ1000, it came up as a Kohler engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So how do you know the rectifier is in fact converting the AC to DC if you do not check for AC on the DC circuit ?

OldDiyer

Threads
Rivets, No problem I didn't list all the numbers when I posted because I didn't think the help from you people would send me down the charging system check because of the dead battery cell I have all the numbers to post if needed but just didn't do it for this post Sorry.
Bert, I guess I'm not sure how to get the AC volts from the rectifier. How would I do this to get that AC check on the 12 volt wire???

OldDiyer

Threads
Rivets, been doing some shed clean up but took a brake to check out your post, Man thank you for this Manual I for sure am keeping it for future use. I just flipped thru a few pages, and you bet it will be a lot of help and I'll be reading some of that testing info for sure. Again Thanks
Just looked up that shunt tool guess I won't be getting one of those !!!!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have the ability and experience, they can be made.

LMPPLUS

Threads
OK so I have a 2002 Craftsman LTZ1000 tractor that I purchased new and has been a good unit for me so I am pleased with it. So heres my rant, I have an auto repair (and owner) backround in 2016 the battery gave up the ghost so I went to Auto Zone and purchased their Gold Duralast U1-3 battery, 6 years into that battery it dies and after checking it has a bad cell thought that seems odd but last Oct. needed another battery so went back to them for another Gold Duralast U1-3 battery put it in and things were fine till a week ago. Went to use the tractor and the battery was dead thought that maybe I left the key on or something so charged it and got the lawn done the tractor sat for about a week or so went to use it and its dead again. Charged again and did a 12 volt test light draw test nothing, did an amp parisetic draw test and nothing let it sit for 2 days and its dead again. I removed the battery and it is a sealed battery but you can get the cover off so I checked and it had a dead cell.
Needless to say I was not happy because these batterys no matter where you get them only have a 90 day replacement warrenty whats with that? I did not go back to Auto Zone but got another battery at Walmart I know that they may not be the best but I tried Auto Zones best and that dumped on me also.
I guess my rant is the original battery lasted 14 years, second battery 6 years and now 8 months. I don't misuse my tractor and use it year around for summer grass and in winter I have a blower for it and change oil with the seasons. I guess if I didn't take care of the battery or the tractor I would understand. Thanks for listening!

LMPPLUS

Threads
OldDiyer, If you can find someone who doesn't stock there batteries with acid in them while on the shelf they will last longer.

I-Mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
If i get 5 years out of a U1 battery im happy. more that 5 years and its a bonus.

Joed756

Threads
I am not familiar with that brand
However I did make batteries for several year in my immediate post grad years
When I starter battery grid plates were 2mm thick and you could hang your washing on them
When I left they were 0,5mm thick & broke under their own weight if not handled carefully .
When this became a problem for things like off-road vehicles, pleasure craft & motorcycles their grids went up to 0.75mm to 1mm and the alloy was changed because of repeated failures,
However the car batteries remained at 0,5mm because car suspension gave them an easy life.
Mower batteries get a rough life as mowers have no suspension & a crude electrical system.
So unless that is a mower battery , it could just be a case of wrong battery for the job.
If your yard is quite rough and you mow hard then you may need to go to a "motorsport" battery .
These have thicker plates, stronger glue in the paste and fiberglass spacers between plates for added support .
The absolute best battery for a mower is the spiral cell battery Toro used for a while that is still available , but take your big wallet with you.
Check the battery terminals for AC when the engine is running.
Electrically this kills batteries faster than a direct short .
Cranking continiously for over a minute or so can also cause the grid plates to warp on cheaper batteries .
A thick foam pad under the battery would cushion it against bumps and bruises.