Craftsman Rider 18HP B&S oil leak +1 other question

I did not see serious oil leakage from pics. The pan bolts do loosen. I suggest loosening all of them cold and retorqueing them IN SEQUENCE. Take a pic of the large hole in the deck so we can see if it can be repaired.

ok I can give that a try.

The deck I've been told by two shops its pretty much scrap.
but here is the pic of it
 

Attachments

  • deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 26
I think that deck could still be used. Just cut off the curled edges and be extremely careful about the direction of stuff shooting out. Might want to see if it would shoot things at your tires, if not then personally, I would be tempted to use it still.

If you're not comfortable using it, look around and I'm sure you can find a riding mower with a good deck, perhaps one similar to yours so you have 2 parts machines that you can build a great mower out of :thumbsup:
 
ok I can give that a try.

The deck I've been told by two shops its pretty much scrap.
but here is the pic of it

Well since I hate to scrap anything, here goes... If the shops see something I don,t , like serious rust throughout that threatens the spindle housings, then scrap. However, like a page from auto floor board restoration , that damage looks like a slam dunk fix by someone with a gas welder (braze or weld bead), or a MIG welder. Try to match the gauge (?.100" thk?) and fairly easily hammer form a patch piece. Doesn't have to be pretty, right. Cost trade an issue. Especially if a used one is available.:2cents:
 
looks like the deck is shot. reason being is you are missing one of the mounting bracket's. you might want to try it, but will have to try to align the mounting bracket with the deck under the frame of the tractor
 
Back again and not familiar with that deck but...Perhaps a 2 step: forming,welding . The if you have 3 other good brakets it is usually not difficult to bend up a bracket, set in place, scribe around it weld .
:thumbsup: I will stop now. Best luck:
 
Back
Top