Craftsman Mower grinding noise

ddzamba

Forum Newbie
I have a 26 HP Crafstman riding mower. The other day it started making a grinding noise when i start it. Its not a clicking noise..definately a grinding noise. It starts just fine every time and as soon as it starts the grinding noise stops..Where should i start looking for the problem?
 
Would that be internal or external of the starter assembly..I guess what i'm asking is do I just need to buy a gear....or the whole starter assembly?
 
The starter gear should be replaceable. The bushing that the gear slides on the starter shaft wear out . If it was me I would check prices because you could find a rebuilt starter wouldn't cost anymore then a gear.
 
Starter gear . Some of the green body tractors chatter because the blades try to engage . Make sure no sticks in the cable wire or it is too tight .
 
Back
Top