Craftsman Mower Deck 42"

sillyboy

Threads
Hello all,
1999 Craftsman - 917.256524 - Deck is 42"
B & S 28N700 15.5 HP - Turbo Cool

I am trying to locate a part for my mower deck. In the photo I enclosed, it sits right in the middle. On the deck it sits just to the left of the blade pulley closest to the discharge chute. My owners manual shows no reference to this part or a part number.
This is connected to the blade engagement Lever on the dash. I have to keep lubing it for it to move smoothly. There is a spring on it also.
It is very hard to lube because I am old and knees are shot, and it sit in a awkward spot. Would like to get a new one if that is possible.

Thank You all...Been here before and everyone has always been helpful.

sb

Attachments

• Deck3.png
    Deck3.png
    216.7 KB · Views: 18

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to this website https://www.searspartsdirect.com/ put in your model number to get the parts diagrams. click on the mower deck and all the part numbers will be there. the part numbers given are actual Husqvarna part numbers available from your local dealer or for ordering from other locations.

sillyboy

Threads
Hello ILENGINE, Thanks, but those photos are the same ones that I have in my owners manual. There is no description or part number for the part I want. I found the attached photo and circled the part I'm looking for. It's extremely hard to see with the deck still attached to mower. This part is what engages the blades, I believe.

Thanks Again
sb

Attachments

• photo deck for forums.png
    photo deck for forums.png
    594.5 KB · Views: 12

sillyboy

Threads
Thanks Illinois...I will look it up.

sb

mitchstein443

Threads
usually what goes wrong with that part is gets a ridge worn in it and keeps the dek from being engaged, all you might need to do is grind the ridge off to smooth and it should work..

Had that hapen with lt1000 craftsman with 42" deck, I got the fix by watching a Terreldactyl video on youtube... and it has worked now on three of those mowers... including one of my own...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
usually what goes wrong with that part is gets a ridge worn in it and keeps the dek from being engaged, all you might need to do is grind the ridge off to smooth and it should work..

Had that hapen with lt1000 craftsman with 42" deck, I got the fix by watching a Terreldactyl video on youtube... and it has worked now on three of those mowers... including one of my own...
If it has worn a ridge then the pivot hole is also flogged oval so needs to be welded & reformed .

sillyboy

Threads
Hello...I'm back to annoy ya all again,
I took the deck off (what a fight!), and it seems that nothing is broke. Besides the wear areas in dirty deck 1 photo, are there any other connections I should lubricate? And with what? It seems that the more "grease" that's used, the more grass, etc. collects on the "grease".

Every video I looked at had a cable set up to engage the blades. Of course mine is different.

Should there be wear areas on these parts. It seems there are rollers near the wear areas. I lifted the "tight parts" so they would not rub.

Thanks for any more input...
sb

Attachments

• clean deck2.JPG
    clean deck2.JPG
    870.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Clean deck1.JPG
    Clean deck1.JPG
    852.9 KB · Views: 13
  • dirty deck1.JPG
    dirty deck1.JPG
    864.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0858.JPG
    DSCN0858.JPG
    853.1 KB · Views: 13
  • my spring type1.JPG
    my spring type1.JPG
    855.9 KB · Views: 12
  • my spring type2.JPG
    my spring type2.JPG
    861.8 KB · Views: 15

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Use Dry Lithium spray grease.
Apply it liberally then leave it 10 minutes for the solvent to flash off
Spray between the brake arms & the deck near the pivot bolt and use the straw.
Keep spraying till the goop appears around the bolt head
Do the same for the rollers
Do the same for the tension arm /plate pivot bolt
Your plate looks like it is flogged out oval