Craftsman LT2000 tractor, Briggs 31P7770299 18hp Intek OHV engine. A few issues...

cuckoochris

Threads
  • / Craftsman LT2000 tractor, Briggs 31P7770299 18hp Intek OHV engine. A few issues...
Trying to help my neighbor out with his tractor. It was... backfiring, loping up/down, not starting. So far I've: cleaned the carb (nikki), installed a new bowl gasket/oring and needle, replaced fuel line and filter, spark plug, air filter and adjusted the valve clearances. It runs much better now, nice and smooth, but something is still off. One problem is that the throttle control doesn't work without a load (it only works if I engage the blade). Also, it is smoking a bit. I pulled out the new plug after 5 minutes of running and it is already caked up. Is it too much gas? or an oil issue? Also have noticed that whenever I take something off (spark plug, carb, air filter) a lot of smoke comes out. Is that normal? Thank You!!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT2000 tractor, Briggs 31P7770299 18hp Intek OHV engine. A few issues...
sounds like a blown head gasket.

cuckoochris

Threads
You got it, head gasket was bad, that took care of the smoking issue. The throttle not working was my dumb mistake, I must have bent the linkage when I took the carb off. Just had to straighten it out a hair and now it's fine.

One last thing that may be an issue. Sometimes if you shut the engine off and then re start it a few seconds later it'll backfire one time as it is starting. Is it a problem? any ideas? Thank You!!