Craftsman LT1000 19.5 Briggs & Stratton -- can it tow?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT1000 19.5 Briggs & Stratton -- can it tow?
I find towing with a light mower is lack of traction. You will find out what it will tow when you start towing with it.

Little John

Threads
So I found out through practical experience that:
  • 917 prefix means it was made by Husqvarna
  • Therefore, some Husqvarna parts work with the tractor
  • And the lower chute is one of those parts.

Pictures coming soon. This thing will look ready for the wastelands when I'm done with it.

LT1045wrh

Threads
I tow all sorts of stuff with my Lawn Tractors. My old LT1000 used to tow my bass boat, my 4x8 box trailer, anything with a trailer tongue! I rigged a 1 7/8" trailer ball to the back of it and away I went.
I could really load that box trailer up with some yard trash and haul it to the front of the property to dump on the pile. It was a great work horse, but I guess a good thing never lasts forever, the engine went. Gas bled into the oil and that was that. Put the tranny in another mower and someone picked the rest of the parts off of the dump pile.
Of course, I live in flat Florida, so I don't have to worry about hills and traction. If it has wheels, I could pull it.
Enjoy your new machine.
W :biggrin:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have found the engine load mowing/bagging is far greater than hauling a fully loaded trailer. But my DYT 4000 is worthless on a wet slope.

Little John

Threads
This weekend is the big test as I haul the firewood up the hill. I don't doubt the engine strength, but I am worried about traction. I have chains, but the hill is mossy and facing north. It's also been raining on-and-off the last 24 hours. Luckily it's supposed to be nice for the next several days: cool and dry, so the hill should be, too....

Anyway, as promised, behold the beast. That trailer contraption actually works!

Attachments

• IMG_2657.jpg
    IMG_2657.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 15

WCBcoor

Threads
Anyway, as promised, behold the beast. That trailer contraption actually works!

LOL Nice job. Looks like something that my dad would have built back in the day!!