Craftsman LT1000 19.5 Briggs & Stratton -- can it tow?

Little John

Threads
  • / Craftsman LT1000 19.5 Briggs & Stratton -- can it tow?
Hi all,
An opportunity came today to buy the riding mower in the subject line. My yard isn't quite big enough to justify a riding mower, but I do have a steep hill and would like something of a small workhorse for carrying stuff up and down - namely dirt and firewood. Would the mower in question be able to do the job? Ballpark the hill at 25-30 degrees. Thanks! :thumbsup:

scott47429

Threads
I'm sure there will be alot of opinions on this but yes it will tow a small yard dump cart as long as your not over loading the card i don't see why it wouldn't do it for years if you take care of the mower the LTs are lawn tractors the GTs are garden tractors

Little John

Threads
Guess I'll find out soon enough - I made an offer, and it was accepted.

I have too many engines at my house now.... Oy!

Little John

Threads
Whelp, she ain't pretty, but she carried me up the hill without even a blink. So I think that towing firewood shouldn't be much of a problem. :cool2:

Now I'll need to keep an eye out for a little trailer.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Whelp, she ain't pretty, but she carried me up the hill without even a blink. So I think that towing firewood shouldn't be much of a problem. :cool2:

Now I'll need to keep an eye out for a little trailer.
We need a picture of "She Ain't Pretty" That is her name isn't it. :laughing: I have more than one of those she ain't pretty mowers.

Not knowing the details of your hills other than degrees, a word of caution on hills wet / slick surfaces. I'm suspecting the brake pad is about the size of your thumb nail and more importantly the wheels with the least traction always take the lead. This often equals jack knife with a trailer and a 180° turn without a trailer if the rear wheels loose traction going down.

Little John

Threads
We need a picture of "She Ain't Pretty" That is her name isn't it. :laughing: I have more than one of those she ain't pretty mowers.

Not knowing the details of your hills other than degrees, a word of caution on hills wet / slick surfaces. I'm suspecting the brake pad is about the size of your thumb nail and more importantly the wheels with the least traction always take the lead. This often equals jack knife with a trailer and a 180ー turn without a trailer if the rear wheels loose traction going down.

I'll get some pics this weekend, already deciding on a cosmetic makeover.

I'll also be investing in chains for towing, but good point on the slick surfaces. Just have to stay off my driveway when running firewood!

WCBcoor

Threads
I'll get some pics this weekend, already deciding on a cosmetic makeover.

I'll also be investing in chains for towing, but good point on the slick surfaces. Just have to stay off my driveway when running firewood!

What's with the cosmetic makeover? Let her stand proud just the way she is !! I have a 20 year old Craftsman 19.5 HP - closely related to "She Ain't Pretty" but mows and tows like a champ. Wouldn't change a thing about her.

Little John

Threads
Don't worry, it won't be a show-winner. I'm thinking something that will exhibit my creative streak and my poor artistic skills. Some inspirations include Kurt Russell's car in Death Proof and an A-10 Warthog (but without the vulcan or the titanium cockpit).

On a more serious note, what's a good source for accessories? I don't have the bagger attachment for the mower deck, and I'd like to be able to get it to blow into an enclosed trailer.

WCBcoor

Threads
Don't worry, it won't be a show-winner. I'm thinking something that will exhibit my creative streak and my poor artistic skills. Some inspirations include Kurt Russell's car in Death Proof and an A-10 Warthog (but without the vulcan or the titanium cockpit).

On a more serious note, what's a good source for accessories? I don't have the bagger attachment for the mower deck, and I'd like to be able to get it to blow into an enclosed trailer.

Keep your eyes on Craigslist or the local Freecycle site. Can find most anything you could ever want or need between the two.

Little John

Threads
Checking in - I haven't towed wood up the hill, but it helped me spread out 10 yards of topsoil earlier this week, and only got stuck once (operator error).

So I'm looking for a chute to modify my dump cart into a mega bagger, but I don't know how to determine if it will fit. The mower is model number 917.271811 - which, I've been told, means it's a Husky-made mower. The lower chute part number might be 532162803 - which is a Husky lower chute for 42" mower decks. But when I was at the power shop, the guy said that part number might not fit, depending on the age of the mower (it's borderline).

So, what I'm getting at is whether there's a way to verify a fit without buying one (and having to pay the restocking fee if it's wrong). Thoughts?