Craftsman LT 2000 41” trans. drive belt

Billybuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
247.288841 LT2000

Anyone ever replaced the short 41” spring tensioned v belt to transmission on one of these mowers? The current belt is worn/stretched causing the long ground drive belt to ride against the spring loaded tensioner arm which carries the pulley for this belt. This belt is trapped on the pulleys over the transmission with insufficient room against the frame walls under the seat for removal. Thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Welcome to world of MTD. This one is a pain to change the secondary belt on. First you remove the spring on the tensioner idler pulley. If you are lucky you can remove the transmission pulley nut (most time its access is blocked by an cross shaft); otherwise, you need take the four transaxle mounting bolt out and partially drop it out and tilted to the left side. And then there is the sliding sleeve pulley that need to be partially removed so the belt clears the belt retainers. Sometimes this just simply done by removing the retaining bolt and flat washer provided that its pivot shaft is not stuck in the bearings; otherwise, it is removal of the three bolts holding the bearing housing place so you can move the pulley around and get the belt off and on.

BTW it best to go ahead and replace both belts at the same time or you get to do again later.

Billybuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I
Welcome to world of MTD. This one is a pain to change the secondary belt on. First you remove the spring on the tensioner idler pulley. If you are lucky you can remove the transmission pulley nut (most time its access is blocked by an cross shaft); otherwise, you need take the four transaxle mounting bolt out and partially drop it out and tilted to the left side. And then there is the sliding sleeve pulley that need to be partially removed so the belt clears the belt retainers. Sometimes this just simply done by removing the retaining bolt and flat washer provided that its pivot shaft is not stuck in the bearings; otherwise, it is removal of the three bolts holding the bearing housing place so you can move the pulley around and get the belt off and on.

BTW it best to go ahead and replace both belts at the same time or you get to do again later.
I was afraid this would be the case. Couple questions: 1) What’s the best way to immobilize the transmission pulley to take a shot at its retaining nut? 2) there appears to be a bracket/arm which hooks under the transaxle which would prevent the transmission from dropping even if the 4 bolts are removed? 3) my sliding sleeve pulley appears to be retained by a spring clip? Definitely not a “bolt”. Pic off the bracket holding the axle:
8E38E48B-A011-4E9A-991E-226EA25EC508.jpeg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have used a small rod, screwdriver to put through one of the holes in the pulley and lock it from turning. Also that is a bracket that hooks under the axle,which holds the variable pulley in place and you will not be able to get the pulley out without totally dropping the transmission. just not enough wiggle room to clear the other items. Seems also part of the bracket also bolts to the side of the frame.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That's a new one on me as I haven't ran into that design yet so I got to get up to speed this one too. And IL said it be a couple or more bolts on the left side frame. Boy I hate it when a manufacture throws us a curve ball.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Looking at an image of that bracket, looks once the side bolts are remove it would rotate rearwards for removal. PN 683-04612-0637.

mtd683-04612-0637-1.JPGMTD683-04612-0637-2.JPG

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ahhh thanks for the info. As I said I haven't ran into this design yet but knowing my luck I will tomorrow just to show me it can.;)

Looks like the OP has his work cut out for him on this project.

I already got a fun project of my own of removing an engine from Ariens 34 Zoom. It probably take most of the morning just to get the front bolts out. My first 793880 cam with nearly completely worn down exhaust lobe, normally it is ACRs that causes to replace these cams.

Billybuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have used a small rod, screwdriver to put through one of the holes in the pulley and lock it from turning. Also that is a bracket that hooks under the axle,which holds the variable pulley in place and you will not be able to get the pulley out without totally dropping the transmission. just not enough wiggle room to clear the other items. Seems also part of the bracket also bolts to the side of the frame.
Correct. It bolts both under the pulley and to the frame, but beyond that, it is bent to overlap from above so isn’t clear to drop the axle even if unbolted. Should I cut it with angle grinder? I could weld it back together.

Billybuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at an image of that bracket, looks once the side bolts are remove it would rotate rearwards for removal. PN 683-04612-0637.

View attachment 51493View attachment 51494
That is a different bracket than what’s on mine.
That's a new one on me as I haven't ran into that design yet so I got to get up to speed this one too. And IL said it be a couple or more bolts on the left side frame. Boy I hate it when a manufacture throws us a curve ball.
It’s a bigger problem than a couple more bolts as I elaborate in a subsequent reply.