Craftsman lawnmower shuts off tried everything

Mitch500

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys,

Recently been having problems with the craftsman lawnmower (self pulling). Problem is it seems to shut off after running for a couple mins and then hard to start after. Sometimes it fires up first thing others you have to pull and pull.

I've done the following:

-drained gas and blew out/dried tank and refilled with new gas
-cleaned the carb and probed all ports and jets, it's really clean and was prior to removal.
-new ignition coil and plug
-new air filter
-compression Test was good also
-drilled a tiny hole in gas cap incase it wasn't venting.

I'm really stumped on this one, it fires up fine when cold and runs a few minutes then sputters out.

Oil may be a tad overfilled but probably a millimeter above the hash marks.

Any insight would be appreciated:)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you would post all engine numbers we could possibly help you out. There are hundreds of different mower and engine combinations used by the Craftsman brand.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Two general things I'd try. (1) Pull the spark plug and inspect. If black and sooted up you're way too rich, check the choke or float level and needle valve. If white and clean get back into fuel supply. (2) Take off the housing and pull off the grounding wire on the coil, leave it unhooked and see it the motor runs, if so backtrack that circuit and find the problem point.

Mitch500

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you would post all engine numbers we could possibly help you out. There are hundreds of different mower and engine combinations used by the Craftsman brand.

Engine numbers are as so:
Model----type------code
124802-3228-01 92121459

Mitch500

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two general things I'd try. (1) Pull the spark plug and inspect. If black and sooted up you're way too rich, check the choke or float level and needle valve. If white and clean get back into fuel supply. (2) Take off the housing and pull off the grounding wire on the coil, leave it unhooked and see it the motor runs, if so backtrack that circuit and find the problem point.
Will do!

keakar

Threads
Hey guys,

Recently been having problems with the craftsman lawnmower (self pulling). Problem is it seems to shut off after running for a couple mins and then hard to start after. Sometimes it fires up first thing others you have to pull and pull.

I've done the following:

-drained gas and blew out/dried tank and refilled with new gas
-cleaned the carb and probed all ports and jets, it's really clean and was prior to removal.
-new ignition coil and plug
-new air filter
-compression Test was good also
-drilled a tiny hole in gas cap incase it wasn't venting.

I'm really stumped on this one, it fires up fine when cold and runs a few minutes then sputters out.

Oil may be a tad overfilled but probably a millimeter above the hash marks.

Any insight would be appreciated:)
carry a spark plug in your pocket, the moment it dies pull the plug bot and plug in the other spark plug and test for spark

i bet the coil is bad and cuts out when its hot

another thing to check, or just replace is the fuel line, it could be restricted so its not able to refill the bowl as fast as the mower uses gas

Mitch500

Forum Newbie
Threads
carry a spark plug in your pocket, the moment it dies pull the plug bot and plug in the other spark plug and test for spark

i bet the coil is bad and cuts out when its hot

another thing to check, or just replace is the fuel line, it could be restricted so its not able to refill the bowl as fast as the mower uses gas

That's what I suspected at first as well. But I have a brand new Briggs coil and plug with same symptoms as prior to changing. Also fuel line is new as well.

I took the float out and made sure it still floats lol also cleaned out the needle/seat , but they were already looking like "new" clean.

I traced the ground wire back and it looked fine. Still stumped, I was ready to put a sledgehammer through the top of the mower and go buy a new unit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In your other pocket pop a can of carb cleaner.
The instant it stops give the carb a SHORT SHOT.
If it fires right up then you have a fuel problem
Let us know how you go .

keakar

Threads
i have had a coil kill wire chaff and selectively shut the mower down when it manages to touch something, usually after it got hot so it was softer which i guess allowed it to touch.

this is why i say keep a spare plug in your pocket to test it, i never said change parts and "assume" anything, you need to find the issue, not keep throwing parts at it

for now unplug the kill wire from the coil and then go cut and see if it dies to eliminate a kill circuit issue since i doubt its the coil or plug if both are new

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Looking at the parts diagram i see this mower used a Primer system carb and a carburetor with a choke/no primer
does this one have a primer bulb you pump or a choke?