Craftsman lawn tractor starting problem

paejkirk

Member
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a 17 1/2 HP Briggs and Stratton engine that has been experiencing starting problems for a couple of years. Basically, the problem is this: I have to charge up the battery before I can start the tractor - if I don't, then the starter doesn't turn the engine over fast enough to start. Now, I assumed the obvious - that the battery was wearing out. This fall I bought a new battery and the problem persists. I am now starting to suspect that I have a bad starter solenoid or a weak starter. I checked my battery before starting the tractor this weekend and the charge was 12.56 volts, which from looking on the internet, seems to be a normal charge for a 12 volt battery. However, the starter wouldn't turn the engine over fast enough for it to start. Then I charged the battery for awhile and checked the charge again. The battery measured 13.48 volts, which then was able to turn the motor over fast enough for starting. Even at this voltage, the starter hesitates a bit - when you turn the key, the starter turns over once, then hesitates for a second or two, then starts cranking the engine. Does anybody agree with my suspicions, and what should I do to remedy this?
 
I would check the valve clearance. Do this after you have checked to make sure that all connections are clean and tight.
 
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a 17 1/2 HP Briggs and Stratton engine that has been experiencing starting problems for a couple of years. Basically, the problem is this: I have to charge up the battery before I can start the tractor - if I don't, then the starter doesn't turn the engine over fast enough to start. Now, I assumed the obvious - that the battery was wearing out. This fall I bought a new battery and the problem persists. I am now starting to suspect that I have a bad starter solenoid or a weak starter. I checked my battery before starting the tractor this weekend and the charge was 12.56 volts, which from looking on the internet, seems to be a normal charge for a 12 volt battery. However, the starter wouldn't turn the engine over fast enough for it to start. Then I charged the battery for awhile and checked the charge again. The battery measured 13.48 volts, which then was able to turn the motor over fast enough for starting. Even at this voltage, the starter hesitates a bit - when you turn the key, the starter turns over once, then hesitates for a second or two, then starts cranking the engine. Does anybody agree with my suspicions, and what should I do to remedy this?

Do you leave the key in the mower when your not using it? that wears on the battery. also did you clean the spark plugs? or buy new ones? that might be your problem
 
How in ?.??? Does leaving the key in the unit wear down the battery? I may be an old fart, but that is a ridiculous statement. The key never makes an electrical connection.
 
How in ?.??? Does leaving the key in the unit wear down the battery? I may be an old fart, but that is a ridiculous statement. The key never makes an electrical connection.

I can sure see what you are saying and agree with you. but I have learned years ago what is a ridiculous statement. About the time I think that something is ridiculous in the repair business it comes back and hits me in the face. I would say it is likely the key never makes a electric connection. Never be sure of anything in the repair business. If there is a volage draw on the battery find it.
 
I stand by what I said until someone can prove me wrong without physically altering the switch. Even then if the key switch is bad, removing the key will make no difference. Just an old fart, wrench monkey, who does know a little about electricity and electrical components. Just sick of seeing posts leading people in directions that go no where. But you know me, I like to start trouble.
 
I stand by what I said until someone can prove me wrong without physically altering the switch. Even then if the key switch is bad, removing the key will make no difference. Just an old fart, wrench monkey, who does know a little about electricity and electrical components. Just sick of seeing posts leading people in directions that go no where. But you know me, I like to start trouble.

Alright your right and I'm wrong and your right. Sorry.
 
It doesnt sound like an electrical fault but mechanical.
Like Rivets said check valve clearances.
Also does engine spin over with spark plug removed before charging your battery.
If yes then decompressor on cam shaft may be faulty.
Check clearances!!!
 
I have never tried cranking the engine with the spark plug out before. Like I mentioned, the engine does crank before the battery is charged up - it just cranks rather slowly. It's my contention though that 12.56 volts ought to be enough to start the tractor. I'm having trouble understanding how the valve clearance could make the tractor start up when it cranks fast but not when it cranks slowly - maybe you'all can enlighten me.

Oh, and BTW - I always remove the key after mowing.
 
Back
Top