Repairs Craftsman Hydrostatic transmission quit

Keith0

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Craftsman Riding Mower Hydrostat Transmission just up & quit moving , anything I can do? Or just replace it? Thanks Keith in Kansas :mad:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First make sure the drive belt for the tranny didn't come off, or break.

Keith0

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will check , I hope! Saw another forum about rebuilding it & suppliers/manufactures for parts under $200 at the time, $160 for - Cylinder Block - Pump kit, motor kit, filter. Anyway Thanks Keith ! crossing my fingers ..

My_guy99

Threads
Done mines before a possible problem changing the oil so I've been told by the manufacture helps a lot but you may be in need a a few gears! Sounds like they have worn passed the point to were it moves now

dallam1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to the wonderful world of Hydrostatic transmissions! I bought a new Craftsman, DYT 4000, in 2004 and thought I died and went to heaven. The neighbor was grinding and clunking gears in his John Dear manual transmission while I was driving my mower with one hand and enjoying a brewski with the other. I would run the thing full bore up and down my acre and one half lot and could care less about changing oil in the tranny. One day while driving up a hill and laughing at my neighbor who has been grinding gears in his JD my tranny for years, my tranny stopped working. I pushed my mower to the shed and noticing my neighbor laughing at me while he continued to grind his gears. 800 hard earned dollars and two weeks later I mowed my now very high lawn.....yes, my neighbor was still grinding gears but he didn't miss a beat mowing his now neat and tidy lawn...good luck my friend!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also check to see if the idler pulley is not frozen. This will not put enough tension on the drive belt to keep the tranny turning.