Craftsman (Husqvarna) tiller transmission broke

Elkins45

Threads
Okay here is what the shift looks like. Both end were resistance welded and those welds do break.
View attachment 63466
As parts going NLA a lot companies are taking the habit of killing off equipment after it is five old now by making parts NLA. It is an industry practice that pencil pushers talking companies into. They just want to make money by selling new eqiupment and to kill off us mechanics as industry. Out the door is the reduce, recycle, and reuse policy, now it use it, throw away, and buy new.
That thing appears to be working just fine in my unit because I can freely move it between positions. When I move it all the way it does engage the tines, and it does disengage them when in all the other positions. Whatever is broken inside my unit is only effecting the ground drive portion of the system.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would you have a stripped gear as the chain only drives the tine shaft. Can't help much as it has 6 yrs since the last time I was inside one these gear boxes. I was kinda hoping I had a SM for it but I don't.

Elkins45

Threads
I would you have a stripped gear as the chain only drives the tine shaft. Can't help much as it has 6 yrs since the last time I was inside one these gear boxes. I was kinda hoping I had a SM for it but I don't.
The diagram and a couple of videos I watched on YouTube both show two separate chains, one for the tines, and one for the wheel drive. It might still be a stripped gear, but it could also be the drive chain. In a perfect world it would be something cheap and easy like a woodruff key.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I only see one chain in the IPL diagram item 50.
1676386608741.png

Elkins45

Threads
I only see one chain in the IPL diagram item 50.
View attachment 63467
The chain for the tines is missing (and mislabeled) from the drawing but it’s in the parts list. Part #29 (102134X) in the parts list is the tilling chain and part #50 (106147X) is the ground drive chain. In the diagram #29 is shown as the sprocket the tilling chain turns. On the Craftsman parts website they sell both chains for this transmission.

At 1:42 in this video you can see both chains. You can see them in the thumbnail.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then someone needs off their dead backside and do the drawing properly in my opinion. As you can see if there no indication it is a chain in the image. Besides as drawn item 50 is the tine drive chain is shown going to item 49.

Oh well anything is getting F'd up lately by people being hired that have no idea of what they are doing. I just ran across a couple Rotary pn showing the same image for two different parts. I having my sales rep now checking which is which.

Elkins45

Threads
Then someone needs off their dead backside and do the drawing properly in my opinion. As you can see if there no indication it is a chain in the image. Besides as drawn item 50 is the tine drive chain is shown going to item 49.

Oh well anything is getting F'd up lately by people being hired that have no idea of what they are doing. I just ran across a couple Rotary pn showing the same image for two different parts. I having my sales rep now checking which is which.
Agreed. I wouldn’t have known if the Sears parts site didn’t have both chains in the parts list.

catman606

Threads
I had to take the transmission apart on my Poulan Pro last summer, it is the same as the Husqvarna. Some water had gotten inside mine and the shifter had frozen up, so a gasket was the only part I needed. A little tip, every video I watched they took both wheels and tines off. I fought with the right side trying to remove it with no luck until I realized you only really need the left one off. You can get a puller on the tines if they're stuck.

Engine, handle bars, tine shield everything has to come off. Take pictures how the pulleys, linkage and springs hook up. I laid mine on the right wheel and block it up level and solid. Clean the shafts good, I sandpapered mine and put oil on them so the left side cover will slide off the shafts easily. A helper makes removing the side cover easier. Work the cover off slowly and keep the shafts pushed down so they don't come out of the other side cover.

And as they say, reassemble in reverse order.

IaFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
According to the parts diagram there are two chains. One (still working) #29 drives the tines and another #50 drives the wheels. Thanks for the link to the manual. That’s a nicer parts diagram than the one I was looking at.

I figure it won’t cost me anything to open it up, and I can’t make it worse. It’s not very useful as a stationary tiller, although I suppose I could guide it while my wife drags it behind the truck.:)
:D :p :D :p :D :p :D

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you pull it apart, take a lot of photos
The IPL's and the contents of the gearboxes are often quite different and lots of the spacers / washers have a specific orientation.
Found this out the hard, do it 20 times way