Repairs Craftsman gear linkage...

sillyboy

Threads
1999 Craftsman, B and S 15.5 HP Turbo Cool, 42" Deck...

Is it possible to adjust the gear linkage on my rider? Finding reverse, sometimes is really hard. Acts like it is in neutral. Then sometimes when I think it's in neutral, it's in a forward gear. :mad: All the linkage (pulled battery box) looks OK, and moves freely.

Any ideas??

Thank You

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If all of the outer linkages look good, then it is likely something else. With the engine not running, how easy will it shift into reverse?

You can tell if it is in gear by just pushing the mower. Can you feel/hear a click?

sillyboy

Threads
If all of the outer linkages look good, then it is likely something else. With the engine not running, how easy will it shift into reverse?

You can tell if it is in gear by just pushing the mower. Can you feel/hear a click?

The shift to reverse goes in OK, but then to get it in neutral I have to shift to (any) forward gear, move it back into reverse, and then shift it to neutral, then it will be in neutral. Shifting from reverse to neutral, still leaves it in reverse, like it needs to go just a little further.

Hope you understand this... :confused2:

Thanks for the reply.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
On the top of the trans is a couple of setscrews/allen wrench, which underneath have a spring and a ball bearing, called a detent.

These are what "click" the selector in place when shifting. Remove both screws, and try to pull out the springs, but they likely will have deteriorated with rust. You may be able to get by by just replacing them. It would be best if you could get the balls out too and replace, and you
could introduce some lube in there as well. Otherwise, you will have to remove, dis-assemble, and clean the trans.

sillyboy

Threads
On the top of the trans is a couple of setscrews/allen wrench, which underneath have a spring and a ball bearing, called a detent.

These are what "click" the selector in place when shifting. Remove both screws, and try to pull out the springs, but they likely will have deteriorated with rust. You may be able to get by by just replacing them. It would be best if you could get the balls out too and replace, and you
could introduce some lube in there as well. Otherwise, you will have to remove, dis-assemble, and clean the trans.

Thanks Fish, but I found a solution by the old "fiddle with it" till it works... What you are saying is probably true, but after shifting and rolling it back and forth a few hundred times (WOW), I just cut the black plastic gear indicator at the back and let the shifter move back further. It now "clicks" into reverse very nicely.

I noticed that when I started to count back from 6th gear, 5th, etc., 1st gear was in the neutral position, and neutral was in the reverse position. There for, letting the shift lever come back a little more found reverse and solved the problem...

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks again for all your help...