Craftsman DYT4000 issue

PK Fan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good evening folks,
I've just picked up a Craftsman DYT4000 riding lawnmower with an 18hp motor. Cant remember the manufacturer of the motor...sorry !! It runs great until I get to a hill, then it starts blowing smoke and making some noise. I m thinking this could be a carb issue? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It sounds like a blown head gasket
Does it do the same when you first engage the blades ?

PK Fan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi bertsmobile1 !! It does not smoke when I engage the blades. Its white smoke when it goes up the hill. Thanks for the reply

rodknock95

Forum Newbie
Threads
Blown headgasket. Just had the same problem with mine. Went up a hill, started to turn right and the engine choked down until it almost died and you couldn't see because of the white smoke. Then it cleared out and went back to running ok. Took the spark plug out and it only had 30 minutes of run time and looked like 30 years. Changed the headgasket, adjusted the valves and now its like a new one.

PK Fan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Blown headgasket. Just had the same problem with mine. Went up a hill, started to turn right and the engine choked down until it almost died and you couldn't see because of the white smoke. Then it cleared out and went back to running ok. Took the spark plug out and it only had 30 minutes of run time and looked like 30 years. Changed the headgasket, adjusted the valves and now its like a new one.
Thanks Rodknock. I have never done a head gasket before. How difficult of a job is that? Where did you find the parts? Thanks again

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thanks Rodknock. I have never done a head gasket before. How difficult of a job is that? Where did you find the parts? Thanks again
You have to be able to adjust valves, decarbon the valves, piston head, and cylinder head, remove all old head gasket material, and while in there, I lap the valves. Find head gasket and parts by model number on the engine. Not a typical DIY job.

rodknock95

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its not hard if you have any inkling of mechanical experience. There are youtube videos that show exactly how to do it. I like "Raley's small engines" on there. He has easy to follow hands on videos, that walk you through stuff and explain it. I watched it before I done mine and he even tells you what size the bolts are, LOL.