Craftsman deck exploding

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And reading the first post it kinda sounds like the OP also has engine problems. I had under powered engine to cause bad deck engagements.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
And reading the first post it kinda sounds like the OP also has engine problems. I had under powered engine to cause bad deck engagements.

Before installing a third belt, take some time and thoroughly inspect the deck. Look at the level and angle of belt as it is routed. Remove deck if needed . Double check everything closely. As stated previously, ensure belt guide is in correct spot. Initially engage deck at lower RPM and watch, feel, and listen. Stop blades quickly if anything is not right.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Most of that style deck from husqvarna has a hole in the idler arm where the bottom of that belt guide is suppose to fit into to help prevent it from turning Just be aware that if the belt catches that guide it will bend the guide and pull on from its hole.
That’s what happened the first time. The next time I moved it out of the hole forward 2”

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Before installing a third belt, take some time and thoroughly inspect the deck. Look at the level and angle of belt as it is routed. Remove deck if needed . Double check everything closely. As stated previously, ensure belt guide is in correct spot. Initially engage deck at lower RPM and watch, feel, and listen. Stop blades quickly if anything is not right.
It’s the same belt I have been using, haven’t replaced Until I know that’s the problem

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Tried again after I fixed the tangled belt, and it worked even at idle pretty good for about 5 minutes , I throttle up about halfway, let off brake and as soon as I started going BANG…and it happened again☹️ Will order new Kevlar belt and will update soon

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a helper to run the mower for you
Drop the deck to the lowest position on the grass in an out of the way spot
Get them to start the mower then engage the blades while you watch or better still video the belts FROM THE LEFT SIDE
Then go inside and have a couple of beers while you step through the video frame by frame to see where & when the belt takes flight.
I have a Go-Pro ( SJ cam Actually ) with a clamp on mount that I make videos of the deck with whenI have one of these belt problems .

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Tried again today (don’t have new belt yet) and worked like last time, came off second I moved forward. This time it didn’t make an exploding noise, just flopped off the PTO and all the other pulley that don’t have keepers. So I put it back on easily and happened again only on the PTO pulley, btw this it electric clutch. So I will proceed and buy a new belt because the old one may be stretched and with the tensioner in place, it is a little loose. Does the PTO need a keeper? It has one to keep it from spinning, but none other than that. Thanks

STEVES

Threads
the pulley grooves could be grabbing the belt / getting a factory belt or known good aftermarket recommended / new spindles move smoothly / recommend new idler pulleys / recheck all nuts & bolts tight /

wolfey01

Threads
Tried again today (don’t have new belt yet) and worked like last time, came off second I moved forward. This time it didn’t make an exploding noise, just flopped off the PTO and all the other pulley that don’t have keepers. So I put it back on easily and happened again only on the PTO pulley, btw this it electric clutch. So I will proceed and buy a new belt because the old one may be stretched and with the tensioner in place, it is a little loose. Does the PTO need a keeper? It has one to keep it from spinning, but none other than that. Thanks
Just an aside notation: A belt doesn't actually "stretch", but rather wears from the "V" side and therefore gets loose from aforementioned reason. My son had anLT 1042 Cub Cadet (MTD) that did almost the same thing. Put it away in the fall, working fine, but the next spring it kept throwing the belt. New belt was no help, so after trying everything I knew, away it went down the road.

kjonxx

Threads
Shaking like you stated right after doing spindles could be a blade or spindle pully is not mounted properly